My Boys Want a Lever Action

I started hunting with Marlin 336C in 35 REM when I was 14; 50 years ago! I still have that gun. Hunted with it for about 3 years before I moved up to a 270. Anyway I thought it was the greatest gun ever when I was a kid. Still love to get it out and shoot it with ghost ring sights from time to time.

If you are looking for a traditional cowboy type lever gun you cannot beat an older Marlin without the cross bolt safety. 30-30 or 35 Remington, both great calibers for deer hunting. You might also consider finding a nice used Marlin 39 for a starter gun and then graduate to the 336. Also you might consider the Model 1894. You can find them in 44 mag, 357 mag and several other calibers. My favorite was the 25-20, but ammo is hard to find. DAD got me a Marlin 39A for 8th grade graduation. Still have it, plus several other Marlins. All great rifles.

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Are Marlin 336s worth a dang anymore with Remington going belly up?

Should I get a Henry?

First, I would strongly suggest a Henry Small Game Rifle with the peep sights! 22LR is a great start but, personally, I'm on the hunt for a 22WMR version.

The Marlin 39A (own one) is nice but, at over $1,000 is just to spendy these days. The same can be said of the Winchester rimfire but, I don't own one myself though my friend uses the 22WMR version for varmints on his property.

If you want a centerfire option, one of the Italian 45Colts or 44Mags would be my first choice. The newer Winchester 1892's are sweet but, easily over $1,000 too.

The old Marlin 336 30-30 my father had and I just didn't bond well. It is a fine rifle but, we just didn't meld together well. Today, I would probably try a Winchester 94 angle eject option in a 35/375 version.

That being said, a lever-action Henry rimfire is an awesome choice IMHO. YMMV ;)

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Should I get a Henry?
Bro, Marlin 336 in 30-30 is an awesome firearm. Get the ones made in 60's and 70's and don't look back. Absolute pleasure to shoot. I recommend the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo for precise and lethal hunting. I have 3. Never had an issue with any of them

I just sold a Win 94 earlier this year. With the plastic recoil pad they aren't that "light" recoiling. But I prefer Winchesters and Marlins. Only problem with the older Marlin 30-30 was the Micro groove barrels. They are fine with jacketed bullets. They can get fouled up bad with lead bullets. However for a cool factor lever actions are hard to beat!
I just bought my first Winchester 94 this year and agree with your observations, including the cool factor! Thanks again!

As young hunters, myself and my buddies all cut our teeth on Winchester 94's and Marlin 336's. For woodland deer hunting they worked well and left little to be desired. I still have a few lever rifles that will follow me to the grave.

Hey guys and gals I hunt and shoot a Marlin 1894 SS in 45-70 also a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem will do the number deer , black bear , elk and buffalo with right ammo. look at my pic. Buffalo 125 yds 405 grain Buff Bore load one shot and down , love levers. Not long range but good to 350 yds.
I have a couple Marlin 1895s in 45-70 also along with some Win 94s in 30-0 and 32 Spl. I also have a 1874 Sharps in 45-70. I'm familiar with the 45-70s trajectory and it is not a 350 yard rifle in the hands of the average shooter/hunter. I'd give it 200 yards at best. And Charles, not to burst your bubble because I truly love the .45-70 but bison ain't all that hard to kill. I've taken a couple with a bow and you puncture their lungs they go down in a hurry! I had one come at me after placing an arrow through the lungs at 35 yards - he never covered the distance before spinning around and dropping. And I'm sure that the 405 gr slug would easily do that.

This is a ballistics chart for the 45-70 Government rifle: Rifle barrel length 24 Inches.
Ammunition: Remington 405 grain Soft Point bullet.
Bullet diameter: .458 inch.
Bullet weight: 405 grains.
Bullet ballistic coefficient: .281.
Rifle zero: 98 yards, 2″ mid-range rise.

RANGEMUZZLE50100150200
Velocity13301243116811051055
Energy15911389122610991000
Drop-1.5+2.0+0.2/-24.4
Removed for space, at 300 yards the heavy projectile drops drastically minus 78 inches. Energy drops to 860 and Velocity slows to 978.

I like the old Marlins for self protection when hiking. I've owned them in .444 and .44 Mag. and I always felt very secure with one in my hands. I have owned a couple Model 94 Winchesters and they were the easiest carrying rifles ever made as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, they are all close range weapons. If I was buying a lever action for hunting it would be a Savage Model 99, preferably one made between the early 50's and early 60's, and in 300 Savage caliber. They are accurate, easy to carry and you can use aerodynamic bullets for longer ranges. They are easily scoped, (but I prefer peep sights), and it's no problem to cut them down and fit a soft butt pad. For beginning young people or ladies it as as close to ideal as it gets in my opinion.

Should I get a Henry?
The company that acquired Remington hasn't commented on plans for the firearms production. I'd be concerned about repair & spare parts.

Grew up using a Model 94 in Oregon timber - 32 Winchester Special. Sweet to carry and the 170 grain silver tips put down big Mulies.