my aluminum rifle stock design

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by killerspoons, Jan 4, 2013.

1. killerspoons

killerspoons Well-Known Member

I designed this in google sketchup. I just need to figure out something for a detachable magazine and have to make the bolt cutout

Attached Files:

2. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

I would add an adjustable cheek that is not square :)

Oh and may want to keep the forend tube out of the way of the scope that way you do not have to run super high rings

3. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt add an adjustable sheek peice, aluminum is gonna be cold on the check. Instead, i think that two vertical "runners" on either side of the stock so that your stock could accept an fiberglass/composite check rest.
    Looks like you have put some time into this. Is that a picture of an autocad entry ready to cut?

4. Trever

Trever Well-Known Member

I like it but what kind of grip are you planning on using?

5. killerspoons

im going to make a wood cheek peice and its gonna use ar-15 grips

6. killerspoons

no i dont think you can cut it the way it is right now. i would also like to get to suggestions on what to change or add to it

7. Bullet bumper

Bullet bumper Well-Known Member

When I made mine I just made the whole thing from well behind the bolt to the forend tip one solid piece . That square forend tube looks ordinary and the joint is a place to get flex . A round forend tube would look way better but getting it low enough is a problem .
    I would be inclined to make it more like this stock. ( not mine below)

Attached Files:

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Seems to be coming along nicely. For bottom metal I'd think you could just get Wyatt's or Badger's set ups and use those dimensions for your cuts.

One thing I'd suggest is putting your bipod mount way out on the fore end and maybe even extending the fore end some for that purpose.

Remember the closer your fulcrum (bipod mounting point) is to the end of the barrel the more stable and accurate the rifle will be.

9. killerspoons

the fore end tube is about 12.5 inches from the action if I remember correctly. this is also made to fit my Winchester model 70 crf