Muzzle loader Basics

JP100

Hi
I really want to get into into muzzel loading hunting(have done alot of centerfire hunting and reloading). I am struggling to find any info in NZ and have emailed the black powder *** but they didnt get back to me.
wondering if anyone can help me out in what caliber would best suit hunting?
I want to hunt most NZ game(red deer,tahr ect) at closer ranges. for me a muzzle loader is a close up shooter and am not interested in longer range muzzle loader shooting(over100yard really).
I was thinking a percussion cap rifle in .45-.50 cal? am I on the right track?
was looking at pedersoli as these seem to be easy to get in NZ
Thanks alot for any info

As far as the Pedersoli, you'll find many that don't like them and the reason is the quality. From what I know about them, either you have a good one or, one you wish you hadn't bought. Repair costs can be sky high, if, you can find the parts.

In many of the different muzzleloading forums, you'll find that "aged shooters" just flat out recommend buying an American side hammer, instead of a Pedersoli. Its not a "Made in America" thing, its a quality issue. Not that all are bad but....

Search the internet for sites related to traditional muzzleloading, you'll find a lot of information on traditionals.

Probably not what you wanted to read but, I've shot muzzleloaders for 40 years and I don't believe I'd purchase one.

Good luck.

Afternoon JP100,
If your looking for a percussion cap in .45 or.50, I would look into a Thompson Center Hawken. Although, they have recently been discontinued, I
assure you that it was not a quality issue. I have just finished reconditioning mine and it looks and shoots great. I use round balls and maxi balls in it. I have this muzzleloader for 30+ years and I also have a T/C 209/50 and I'am very happly with both.
Currently in the process of gathering parts to put together a .45 or .50 Hawken Flintlock.
The 209/50 has a 1in 28" twist and the Hawken has a 1 in 48". I would be happy to help you gather any information you need to make a decision on what to purchase.

[email protected]

Evening Encore,

I believe that they are no longer manufacturing, selling inventory that is on hand. I will call Monday and get an update and get back to you, for information purposes.
It's good to see the Muzzleloading side of the forum being used.
Thanks for the reply.

Evening Encore,

I believe that they are no longer manufacturing, selling inventory that is on hand. I will call Monday and get an update and get back to you, for information purposes.
It's good to see the Muzzleloading side of the forum being used.
Thanks for the reply.

Not certain about out west shooters, but here in the mid-west and out east, muzzleloaders are the firearm of choice for many whitetail hunters, even in centerfire areas and continue to gain popularity. Other than an old 1881 Marlin in 40-60, its all I've hunted with for decades. I was shooting up to 4,000 rounds per year but, as I get older more things start going wrong, such as the torn retina that I just had surgery for, so my shooting is slowing down. I know that for T/C, the Encore platform rifles are huge sellers but, it would be a shame if they stopped making side hammers. I know many in-line shooters who have never shot a side hammer, that are now getting into it. However its realized that the range is limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.