Muzzle break question.

pyroducksx3

I am looking to put a muzzle break on my tikka T3 lite in 300 wsm. I would like one that is can be unscrewed and cap put on. So I have the muzzle break for shooting practice and for hunting can take if off. I am looking for some suggestions of some good brakes. What is the the most effective? thank you

I would suggest:

Defensive Edge brake from Defensive Edge a sponsor here.
Holland QD - Darrel Holland another sponsor here.
308 Nate make quite a pretty one. Again a sponsor here
APS, Allen Precision Shooting makes great ones also - Again a sponsor here.
Jim See (Coyboy here could also do the job) Another sponsor here.

I could go on an on and still miss some. For that I apologize.:rolleyes:

I have a Defensive Edge and a Holland QD on a couple of boomers and they are great. I just came in from checking zeros and had no problems spotting shots @ 200 yds with either one shooting prone off of bipod.

are the holland or defensive edge removable? It didn'y say on their website and I didn't see anything about blanks to thread on to protect the treads.

are the holland or defensive edge removable? It didn'y say on their website and I didn't see anything about blanks to thread on to protect the treads.

Holland's new Radial brake is even more effective than the original QD IMO.
Contact any of the above and I am sure they make a thread protector if that is the route you want to go with.
Just remember that when you take the brake off and add a thread protector you are changing the harmonics of the barrels and accuracy may change.

Unless you actually port your barrel, I dont know any brakes that aren't removable. Your problem will be, if you want to remove and refit it frequently, some like the DE are indexed. This means that the brake has to end up the same position each time you fit it (It has a top and bottom). Some brakes are the same all way round and you can just screw them on and go for it. Some brakes use a clap style so once you screw it up to where you want, you do up the clamp (Sako).

The problem with indexed brakes is every time you fit and remove is the 2 surfaces which meet of the barrel end and brake will wear very very slightly and then you brake will take a little more of a turn each time you fit. Eventually when you fit the brake it will turn around too far.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.