Muzzle break of choice?

Topshelfbv

I am building a 338 lapua and was wondering if any one out there has experience with either the APS Painkiller 5 port break or the T3 Terminator Break, I was about to order the T3 when i came across the APS beak and it looks like it works great but also looks a little on the heavy side. Thoughts?

No experience on the T3. Kirby Allen's (APS) slabbed Pain Killer muzzle brake works as advertised. I don't remember my friend's .338 LM's rifle weight (IIRC it's 12 lbs) but it shoots ~ .308 Win's felt recoil pushing the 300 grainers. Yes, they are a little heavier but they are also designed for heavier rifles as stated on his site.

If you like the slabbed design and 5 ports, you might also want to check out JEC Customs' Assassin muzzle brake.

I just picked up my .300 WSM with BenchMark's tactical mini brake (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) installed but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Having said that, here is a video of Chris shooting a .338 LM with their large tactical brake with pinch bolt.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a 4-port muscle brake on my 338 RUM and it's amazing how well it works. Purchased and installed through piercision rifles

You should also look at the Assassin brake made by JE Custom. Probably the most efficient brake out there.

I don't like threading extra weight onto my barrel so, when I build a rifle, I have the brake machined into the finished barrel. Looks better, less weight, better "balance" for the barrel dynamics. Win/Win/Win gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (oops)

I don't like threading extra weight onto my barrel so, when I build a rifle, I have the brake machined into the finished barrel. Looks better, less weight, better "balance" for the barrel dynamics. Win/Win/Win gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (oops)

But your port size and the effectiveness of the brake is limited by the barrel diameter. Lose

The larger the port the more effective the brake. You have a larger surface area for the gases to push against that way.

We do have a new 4 port coming out as well. The blast baffle is .550 alone!
Chris
Benchmark

But your port size and the effectiveness of the brake is limited by the barrel diameter. Lose

The larger the port the more effective the brake. You have a larger surface area for the gases to push against that way.

Good point there, Idaho. I'm not pushing any magnum calibers so what I'm using works for me but, as you intimated, the larger calibers don't settle down with the smaller ported brakes.

I have installed more of Ross Schuler's muzzlebrakes than any other kind.
They work great and are inexpensive.
If 4 or 5 port are what you are looking for, Nathan Wright has those covered.

We do have a new 4 port coming out as well. The blast baffle is .550 alone!
Chris
Benchmark

Chris,

I'm very happy with how mine turned out on my .300 WSM; actual is better then the phone pix ... hopefully I get to shoot it soon. Thanks for all your help.

Ed

Attachments

• 0217151722b.jpg
    0217151722b.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 0217151724.jpg
    0217151724.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 108
We like Howitzers :D Just wait till I get pics of the 375 Cheytac I'm currently building!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts