Muzzle brake suggestions for sporter barrel

MBM and if were me I would just get a 30 cal. Then you can put it on other rifles even if a little crooked for testing bench work etc. you won't notice the recoil difference. He will taper to match OD and will also time it for you. Just give him the OD of the shoulder and send him a thread protector or other brake wrapped in tape with it marked at TDC. His costs compared to any smith I called was fractional. I prefer a side port over radial for hunting rifles.

MBM and if were me I would just get a 30 cal. Then you can put it on other rifles even if a little crooked for testing bench work etc. you won't notice the recoil difference. He will taper to match OD and will also time it for you. Just give him the OD of the shoulder and send him a thread protector or other brake wrapped in tape with it marked at TDC. His costs compared to any smith I called was fractional. I prefer a side port over radial for hunting rifles.
There is a recommended clearance for optimum performance. IIRC, it is 020" overbore diameter. For instance, the OP's .243 + .020" clearance is .263" while a .308 cal + .020" is ..328." This means if the OP goes with an MB designed for .308 cal and use it in his .243 cal, it will be .065" overbore and might affect the effectiveness of the MB.

I found one JEC >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/muzzle-brake-clearance.207671/

@FEENIX. I don't disagree the tighter the clearance the more gas goes through the port. On a computer or calculator screen it shows more recoil reduction. Yes it may sell more brakes and I don't believe the the difference of a 30 cal is noticeable over a 243 for 99 percent of shooters. I run 30 cal on a 223 and then throw it on a 300wm if I want to. If I could get a 338 I would I just don't want to pay the extra for it to be opened up.

@FEENIX. I don't disagree the tighter the clearance the more gas goes through the port. On a computer or calculator screen it shows more recoil reduction. Yes it may sell more brakes and I don't believe the the difference of a 30 cal is noticeable over a 243 for 99 percent of shooters. I run 30 cal on a 223 and then throw it on a 300wm if I want to. If I could get a 338 I would I just don't want to pay the extra for it to be opened up.
I understand the cost associated with having MBs. I opted to have dedicated MBs for all my rifles as I do not want to deal with POI shifts due to changes in barrel harmonics.

WHY in the world would you need a Brake on a 243?
I'm guessing because he wants one. I have brakes on a couple AR15's and even bolt 223's. Why?? Because I don't like screwing off the suppressor mounts And just leave them on. I have one on a heavy barrel 223 now because it shoots like garbage and I'm trying just about anything to get it to shoot.

WHY in the world would you need a Brake on a 243?
An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized.
1) Spotting misses and hits
2) getting my kids into long range shooting
3) If you don't have anything productive to add to this conversation, perhaps you should Leave the comments for those who are trying to help.
Spotting your target on impact is priceless. Spending your time with your kids, esp. getting them into LRH/S is precious. WTG, Dad, and thanks for keeping the tradition alive and well.

I just wish my dad had a suppresor on the first high powered rifle I shot. I wish I'd had ear muffs too. As I recall, the muzzle blast was at least as bad as the recoil. I won't hunt with someone with a muzzle brake.

I just wish my dad had a suppresor on the first high powered rifle I shot. I wish I'd had ear muffs too. As I recall, the muzzle blast was at least as bad as the recoil. I won't hunt with someone with a muzzle brake.
I would like to eventually get a suppressor, but it's not in the budget this year.

Recent Posts