Suggestions on Muzzle Brake for Sendero 300 RUM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 6x6 elk, May 6, 2015.

1. 6x6 elk

6x6 elk Well-Known Member

Looking for muzzle brake, looking for best combination of recoil reduction, and least amount of deafening muzzle blast. The muscle brake looks like a possibility,but I like the looks of the brakes that match the barrels contour. Had a Vias on a 300 win mag, recoil reduction was good, but muzzle blast was excessive. What's out there that you guys recommend? Thank you for any suggestions.

2. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

JE Customs makes a nice muzzle brake. He's a sponsor on long range hunting. He has an educational video on here and does some pretty impressive testing.

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

+1! Lots of good ones out there (do a custom search on the top right hand corner) and Jerry's "assassin" is up there with many happy customers.

4. Harvman

Harvman Well-Known Member

Muscle from Ryan at Piercision Rifles -- and you'll never have to wonder.

5. geo4061

geo4061 Well-Known Member

I really like the Defensive Edge on mine. Makes a kitten out of the big bad 300 RUM the muzzle blast isn't noticeable.

6. Despotes

Despotes Well-Known Member

I'm curious how the Assassin compares to the Terminator T3

7. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

Would the Terminator have more back blast? It's not a problem to me, since I wear electronic hunting muffs, but the OP said something about muzzle blast.

8. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

I had Darrell Holland's brake and really liked it. One of many on here with a very good reputation and I haven't used DE or JE Custom's to say one is better than the other, but don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

9. Despotes

I'm not sure if it does.

10. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

No expert but my WAG is yes (compared to those side port designs that is perpendicular/90 degrees from the shooter/bore; or at least the 1st port) since all the side port angles slightly towards the shooter.

Shoot-Long | Terminator Muzzle Brakes T2 T3 T4 T5 T6

Here's a video of Jim with his muscle brake (http://www.piercisionrifles.com/muscle-brakes/) ...

The muscle brake (and other similar designs) with the first port being 90 degrees it shears the back blast off from the angled ports, to prevent the "blast/concussion" effect from distracting the shooter.

(NOTE: NO Jim is NOT testing how quiet the brake is; he explained it on one of the older threads :):Dgun))

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2018
  11. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

A quiet muzzle brake is a fallacy.

All muzzles brakes require hearing protection, most suppressors aren't hearing safe either with supersonic rifle cartridges.

Electronic hearing protection is the way forward with hunting rifles.

I'm sure some brakes are louder than others, it will be interesting to test that one day.

Some brakes expose the shooter to more concussion & blast that others.

There is a big difference in recoil reduction between brakes.

Brakes are noisy anti-social devices at the best of times, but nothing else reduces recoil like a brake will, kind of a rock & hard place situation.

12. Despotes

I just received my T3 and the 1st port is 90 degrees and the rest are angled back.

13. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It sure don't look like it from this picture though ...

[​IMG]

14. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

All ports on the Terminator Brakes are angled back.

This guides the gas away from the shooter.

The best place to be is the shooter or directly behind him :)