muzzel brake for a Savage sporter barrel

MIhunter

I am looking for advice I would like to put a brake on my sporter barrel to try to keep some of the hop down. I recently shortened the barrel a little down to 20" for a good light hunting setup I usually hae a 26" varmint contour on there but its a bit unwieldy in the woods plus its heavier then he!! So I swapped the barrels back.

If you know of any good combination for this the advice would be truly appreciated I also really like the noise.

Thanks in advance and God Bless

"I reallly like the noise" SAY WHAT?? Be aware that the percentage of recoil reduction is more pronounced on big bore high pressure cartriges like 338RUM, than it is for small bore 223 or low pressure cartridge like 30-30. With the same brand of brake installed, my 300 RUM feels like a 270, whereas my 6BR feels like a 223.
Just my perceptions and 2 cents worth.
Art

I have a Shilen brake on a youth model 11 243 I don,t know the name of the brake but it is the Shilen standard. It tames the 243 for my kids down to where they were not afraid to shoot it when 7 years old. Extremely loud though.In texas we hunt out of blinds and you must wear ear protection. It will tame recoil down enough to spot your own shots with an adult shooting. It ran about $160 installed 5 years ago. I was worried about a accuracy loss but it doesnt seem to matter. extremely easy rifle to shoot.

thanks guys appreciate the info, I sighted in the swap yesterday and holds really good groups under 3/4" at 100 yd zero, but I have a good load for that barrel already, and I miss judged the take off of the original, its actually 18" long and really hops but it hops straight up and back off of the sand bags, but man those loads are the real deal. I can still break a clay pigeon at 300yds. I will look into the shilen and again thanks alot for the input.

Aim small miss small and all is good in the hunting world

Oh yeah and as to the noise its kinda an ego thing I like my hunting partner to know that I have a big deer down and thats pretty much it, plus it makes me feel like I am shooting a really big rifle for now until I can afford a 45-70 barrel for my Encore Pro hunter, and yes I am looking for one of those if anyone out there knows of one handy and for the right price. Blued or Stainless doesn't matter to me.

God Bless our Troops

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.