Muzzel brakes

jbubb

I now there have been all types of post on to brake or not to brake. I have a savage 112bvss in 300 win coming and I want the added help form a brake. Which brakes are the quitest and which reduce the recoil the most. Thanks for any help.

I have 3 Vais brakes on my rifles! They work great. I have one on my 30-06, 338 RUM, and one on my custom 6.5-06AI. They work great. I was at the range and a gentleman showed up the a 300WM with another brake and the concussion was horrendous!!
mad.gif
My 338 RUM with the Vais brake makes it a purring 243 ***** cat!!
grin.gif

I'll second the Vais. I have a Vais on my .338 RUM, and a Magnaported 7-08. The blast on the adjoining shooter is worse with the 7-08, even tough the powder being burned is less than half. Assuming that blast = noise, the Vais is substantially quieter.

ALL brakes are noisey, so don't expect anything less. I shoot mine with plugs AND muffs. It's more comforatble that way, NOTHING bugs me!

Mark in Utah

I have had custom brakes from High Performance Gunsmithing in Hamilton, MT (www.muzzlebrake.com) put slimline muzzlebrakes on 5 rifles - a .300 Weatherby, 7mm Weatherby and three 30-06's, mine and my two 13 year olds. These brakes are great not only do they reduce recoil so well that one of my boys, 85 lbs, can shoot a Remington Mountain Rifle in 30-06 all day long, but they are perfectly countoured and finish matched to your barrel. Kevin Knight at HPG will recrown your barrel and put a matching crown on the brake. They also provide a knurled muzzle cap if you want to shoot without the brake. You can't even tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins. Very nice in all respects.

I have had Kevin brake and accurize all my rifles and I'm very happy with all of the improvements.

Good luck

You got that right JB!!

Although I do like the Badger Break.. Nothing compares to the OPS Inc.

REALLY worth looking into!!!

Ric , where would you find info on the OPs breaks ?? you got any links

How does it compair to say the Vias , Holland and Badger ?

Hi JDJones 75,
try this link: http://opsinc.us/brake.php
I went to the USA patent office website and read the patent on the Opsinc brake design and it is elegantly simple yet very clever at the same time. From the patent information they appear to be a very impressive and quiet brake he is using powder gases to interact with each other to drive the noise at 90 degrees to the shooter.

Oh , so how does it compair to the Vias break , I have a Vias and a Holland neither are quiet and I understand that their isin't a quiet break but as far as recoil reduction and noise is it as good as the Vias , quieter more effective ??

I have tried pretty much every brake out there and have finally come to rest on the Vais. No, it's not "quiet", but recoil reduction is as good as the JP "Tank Style" brakes. Ops-Inc is a pretty good one too, but the Vais is MUCH better. JP is a REALLY good one to look into as well.

TH

If your planing on shooting out of the window of a pickup you'll never do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

Haha!!! I'll have to bump Quaken on that last post! I made that mistake once and once only about three years ago!! I couldn't hear very well for a couple days after shooting my 7/338 Lap from inside my truck and I thought my wife was going to KILL me!!

TH

I know this might not interest all of you but there is no better muzzle brake than a suppressor. It makes my 300WSM sound like a .22 and recoil like a .223 with no loss in accuracy. It is by far my coolest toy. It all depends on wich state you are in as to the legalities involved. If you are in a state that you can hunt with them in, you will absolutely love it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.