Threading a sporter barrel?

jca57jd

I'm wanting to thread a savage 243 sporter contour barrel for a qd mount for my suppressor. My barrel is .58" at the end. I was thinking about threading it 1/2x28 because they offer a mount in this size? Will I still have enough barrel wall thickness if I go this rout? Many thanks for advice!

IMHO, yes you will. I threaded a .270 to 1/2" x28 once for a muzzle break and it works perfectly!! now, its a little tricky to make it look good, putting a break on a pencil barrel that is, bit turned out OK.

Is .58 going to be big enough for a 9/16x24 thread size? I'm not sure if the threads are deeper than (.58-.56) .02"?

if your bore is pretty concentric it would work, but you are going to have to get it on the lathe to measure it. a good smith can cut what ever thread he wants to (like 0.567 x 28) and the thread that into the break or suppressor with a boring bar. what ever you do. don't do it yourself with a tap. I only charge $35-$50 to thread a barrel, and that's what most guys charge. its not worth doing it with a die because I have never known a factory barrel to less than .005 out of concentricity and its been .030" before.

I did some checking with some other guys. 1/2"x28 is pretty common for the 6mm

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.