Muzzle brake and velocity

I have a hard time properly mounting my Magnetospeed to my rifle with the muzzle brake on. If I take muzzle brake off to get velocity readings and then put the brake back on to hunt with, what are the odds velocity will change enough to affect things?
The velocity probably won't change much but the impact may. I use the Magneto Speed on muzzle breaked guns including the 50BMG. It mounts fine behind the muzzle break on the barrel or even on the hand guard. For those who want to mount magneto speed on the muzzle brake I use a homade can machined from solid aluminum stock, that slip fits over the muzzle break with 2 set screws to snug up the aluminum can which is drilled and bored to size on the lathe, works great and I have several.

My question was never about zero. It was about the potential in velocity change with no brake and then with brake.
Ok, understood.

You may be interested in this thread. It documents that adding a can not a brake adds about 30 fps.

My thought is adding a brake
may add something like 10 to 20 fps depending on barrel length and number of ports in the brake.

If it affects velocity at all, that also implies a small vertical shift in zero or POI as well.
My question was never about zero. It was about the potential in velocity change with no brake and then with brake.

I have a hard time properly mounting my Magnetospeed to my rifle with the muzzle brake on. If I take muzzle brake off to get velocity readings and then put the brake back on to hunt with, what are the odds velocity will change enough to affect things?
Mount it with the rubber bracket that allows as close to the barrel as you can without interfering with the bullet path and right up against the back of the break. Pete

I have experienced little to no change in velocity by adding or removing a brake on my rifles. You will definitely see a POI change. My advice would be to go with the results from YOUR MagnetoSpeed, install the brake, re-zero and then verify your dope at range. Honestly, all of that can be accomplished easily and quickly with one trip to the range.
If you get the funds and opportunity, sell the MagnetoSpeed and get a LabRadar. After my 2nd MS went south, I did that and haven't looked back.

Ok, understood.

You may be interested in this thread. It documents that adding a can not a brake adds about 30 fps.

My thought is adding a brake
may add something like 10 to 20 fps depending on barrel length and number of ports in the brake.

If it affects velocity at all, that also implies a small vertical shift in zero or POI as well.
I have personally dealt with a velocity change of around idk, 20-25fps from brake to no brake along with poi change and grouping! Was 2920-2930fps and went down to around 2885-2895 ish…..can't remember but it was enough to take me out of the node I had.

I had to go through and do a touch up load development to iron things back out. This is on a custom rifle, Lt pulma 26" Krieger 4 groove using 156 bergers.

Velocities was done with v3 off the barrel.

I have personally dealt with a velocity change of around idk, 20-25fps from brake to no brake along with poi change and grouping! Was 2920-2930fps and went down to around 2885-2895 ish…..can't remember but it was enough to take me out of the node I had.

I had to go through and do a touch up load development to iron things back out. This is on a custom rifle, Lt pulma 26" Krieger 4 groove using 156 bergers.
Yes, sounds about like what I would expect from what others have reported too

The harmonics of the barrel will certainly change. You could take the brake off, shoot 7 to 10 rounds through to get a small taste of the velocity data. Put the brake back on, zero, and shoot over distance to get your DOPE and cross check your drop with velocity data. Personally, if you are shooting drop data, then you'll tweak the velocity in the program based on the drop and MV readings won't matter as much.

The harmonics of the barrel will certainly change. You could take the brake off, shoot 7 to 10 rounds through to get a small taste of the velocity data. Put the brake back on, zero, and shoot over distance to get your DOPE and cross check your drop with velocity data. Personally, if you are shooting drop data, then you'll tweak the velocity in the program based on the drop and MV readings won't matter as much.
Yeah could've done that but taking it off changed my group size to an undesirable size.

Yeah could've done that but taking it off changed my group size to an undesirable size.
[/QUOTE
Adapt and overcome. Tubb shoots with the Magneto Speed attached to his rifle on the very long range shots... it does not attach to the barrel so buy his product and you don't have to worry about attaching to the barrel, velocity, or harmonics... or shoot over sky screens or lab radar.

Last edited:

Recent Posts