Muzzle break and velocity

muleyman

I know this has been asked and answered but a search didn't seem to show that. Also on the "Google" sites the info just wasn't quite what I was looking for.

What I'm looking at is the difference in velocity between shooting the same rifle with a break then without a break. I'm not concerned about the gain in noise, was just curious about any significant loss in speed. Thanks in advance........

Don't know of any specific studies done on this one, but I'd have to say it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. The military has done a lot of work with flash suppressors over the years, especially for the M14 when it was in service. Tremendous difference in accuracy (at least until they got the bugs worked out) , but I don't recall anything about velocity loss being described as an issue. Shouldn't make any difference with a muzzle brake either.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin, thanks for the response. I didn't really think it would have, really I can't see why it would but somewhere, sometime I heard a rumor that it did. Anyway I couldn't prove or disprove it via a search and having no personal experience with it, thought I'd ask. Thanks again.......

The ones I tested actually increased velocity slightly, not decreased. A few years back there was a company called Montana Muzzle Brake. They claimed their brake would increase velocity by up to 100 fps. I seriously doubted that claim. I sent several rifles to them for brakes. This was back in 98-99 time frame when I was doing quite a few 338-300 ultramags, Lapuas and imp lapuas, 338-378's, etc. Several of the best 338 cartridges out there. The rifles with the Montana Muzzle brakes were the fastest of any of them I ever did. Some easily 100 fps outside the norm. For example one 338-300 ultramag with a 28" barrel was outshooting the 30" ones by quite a bit. One of my 338-378 wby's was shooting 300 grain bullets 3100 fps and 200 grain bullets over 3700 fps. I have never got those numbers in any 338-378 wby except the one with the Montana Muzzle Brake.

Does anybody out there have any idea what happenned to those guys. I haven't seen the name around now in several years.

That's interesting. I wouldn't have figured this, but there's a hell of a lot of things happening in a very small area as the base of a bullet breaks free of the muzzle. Things that we almost never see. I wonder if it might not have something to do with stripping away some of the turbulence that occurs as it makes this transition?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

LTR is correct on this. If the brake is not cut too much oversize it will indeed add velocity. I have tested this myself and most times will increase velocity, but every once in a while one will not. IME very seldom does a proper internal dimensioned brake not add velocity. IME it was more like 50 to 75 FPS, but I tested them in 300 wins not big 338's

Kevin, To small of a data base to make judgement. But it sure is worth looking into whatever they were doing. Because of all the guns I did during that period it is amazing all the "way out of the norm" fast barrels had Montana Muzzle Brakes. Could have just happened and all the fast barrels were those rifles. But the odds would be long. I am a trained senior scientist/engineer. I would like to see more data. If anybody knows about those guys now please let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.