Muzzle brake and velocity

huntoregon

I have a hard time properly mounting my Magnetospeed to my rifle with the muzzle brake on. If I take muzzle brake off to get velocity readings and then put the brake back on to hunt with, what are the odds velocity will change enough to affect things?

No issue on the rifles without brakes. Just don't zero it as it may have POI shift.

Along those lines, has anyone had problems shooting with the muzzlebrake on? I am on Magspeed number 3. They all have died. All did fine at first, but all have been shot with big magnums and all have given up the ghost.

I have a hard time properly mounting my Magnetospeed to my rifle with the muzzle brake on. If I take muzzle brake off to get velocity readings and then put the brake back on to hunt with, what are the odds velocity will change enough to affect things?
No adverse effect (negligible). What you are experiencing is why I went with LR over MS.

No issue on the rifles without brakes. Just don't zero it as it may have POI shift.

Along those lines, has anyone had problems shooting with the muzzlebrake on? I am on Magspeed number 3. They all have died. All did fine at first, but all have been shot with big magnums and all have given up the ghost.
Yup. I'm on three also. Mosty use a Labradar now anyways so it's in a safe space in a box.

There are a couple of companies offering adjustable mounts for Magnetospeeds. I've used Wiser precision (meh) and MK Machining. The MK Machining unit is quite nice.

Thank you guys for all the info.

Brings me to my next question, I shot last night over my Magnetospeed, and also switched to a buddies Magnetospeed and both worked fine but shots registered faster on mine. To complicate matters we also set out a Pro Chrono out too and it read slower than both the MS.

So now I have 3 different MV averages. Which one do you choose?

Thank you guys for all the info.

Brings me to my next question, I shot last night over my Magnetospeed, and also switched to a buddies Magnetospeed and both worked fine but shots registered faster on mine. To complicate matters we also set out a Pro Chrono out too and it read slower than both the MS.

So now I have 3 different MV averages. Which one do you choose?
IIWY, "I" would go with yours, determine your dope from there, and adjust accordingly.

Yes definitely going to have to confirm dope. I like the idea of using my MS velocities and confirming. That way I always have access to my device and verification will be need no matter what.

The optical chronograph is located down range and will read slower than muzzle velocity. As for the difference in Magnetospeed readings this is a result of the fact that you are measuring different cartridges with different velocities with different instruments.

Someone above mentioned this but I won't be as subtle.

IF YOU DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE THE WEIGHT OUT ON THE END OF YOUR BARREL, FROM EXACTLY HOW YOU SIGHTED IT IN, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A CHANGE IN POINT OF IMPACT WHEN YOU GO OUT TO USE IT NEXT. SO IF YOU ZEROED USING A MUZZLE BRAKE, OR A MUZZLE BREAK AND A HANGING MAGNETOSPEED AND YOU REMOVE THEM, THEN GO HUNTING, YOUR POINT OF IMPACT AND ZERO WILL CHANGE ---POTENTIALLY A LOT.

You absolutely have to hunt with the same weight out on the end of the barrel that you used to zero with.

Maybe if you have a very rigid fat 16 inch barrel, you will be ok, but any normal barrel of 18-28 inches that is more tapered or slender, or sporterized or contoured for weight, will give you a very different point of impact if you take all the weight off the end of it.

The reason is barrel harmonics.

Recent Posts