Muzzel Brake

I use Shawn's defensive edge Fiftydriver makes one simular and 308 Nate makes his version. Never heard a bad word about any of them.

Barry,
Nyles made three great suggestions.
I have one of the three mentioned. I'm not sure if Kirby was making his when he built my 7mm Dakota XP.
A brake not mentioned that is in the same class is Holland's Quick Discharge.

I had one made by Gentry called the quiet brake and another that looked very similar and both were ok at reducing muzzle jump and recoil but I purchased a unit from Brownells made by OPS, Inc. that is in a different class. It is used by special forces and has had a lot of research to optimize the design.
I have it on a 300 win mag and I don't think it kicks as much as my 243. The 300 is an 8 pound composite stocked kicking fool and this brake has made it actually fun to shoot. The really cool part is it doesn't seem to increase the sound like the others did. I shot a whitetail this year and didn't have time to put my ear plugs in and it wasn't bad. The brake I had on my 22-250 needed ear plugs and muffs to be able to shoot it. I tried it with ear plugs and my ears rang for two days.

....I purchased a unit from Brownells made by OPS, Inc. that is in a different class. It is used by special forces....

If you don't mind me asking...how much for one?

The noise is the reason I wasn't wanting to use a brake on my 7mmRUM, but if you can have one without all the noise...that would be cool! I'm not sure why I'm worried about the noise...nearly deaf already from a couple shooting incidents.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.