Muscle Brake

webs

For those of you that bought a Muscle brake, I have a few questions. I was wondering how a Muscle Brake comes. Just what is left to be machined on it.

I would like the 3 port Muscle Brake slabbed version for a brux #5 contour barrel finished at 28". The thread will be a 5/8-24 and it will go on a 7mm WSM.

As I understand it the only thing left is to drill the main hole approximately .020" larger than the diameter, Time, and contour to the barrel. Do the brakes come milled already in a "slabbed" design?

I emailed Jim but I realize he is pretty busy.

How they look in the picture is how they come, you'll need to time, contour to barrel and bore for clearance. On a #5 the mini looks better to me and you may want to clarify with Jim but the 5/8ths thread may leave you with a thin shoulder on a #5 as well, but I have not fitted an original 3 port to a #5 so I'm not solid on that.
Jim is good about communication!!!

The brake comes pre-slabbed. All you'll need to do is thread the muzzle and time the brake, bore exit hole .020" over caliber size and contour the back end of brake to the barrel. A #5 contour has .700" muzzle dia. With the .625" thread size this will leave you with .0375" shoulder per side. I won't go with less than a .035" shoulder so your right at the minimum for me. The Muscle Brakes are very well made and clean when you get them. No burrs and the machine finish is good. You'll really love the performance an quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.