MPI Stocks?

critrgitr

I am new to the site, but it looks like a good place to ask if anybody has used an MPI stock, and what they thought of them. I am looking at installing an MPI sillhoette thumbhole stock on my sako 300 RUM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a few.The gunsmith I used in the 80's-90's used MPI exclusively.He went over to Mcmillan though because they could make their stocks to the specs he wanted better than MPI,such as weight,finish,etc.

critrgitr,

Stay away from them.....Spend a little more and get the Manners. The MPI stocks that I have used take alot of work to get them usable. Both of my MPI Tactical stocks broke in the action area in 2 or 3 places. MPI told me it was because of the caliber.....7mm STW, Heavy barrel and a brake.....recoils like a 243.... Needless to say, they wouldn't replace them or give me my money back. Both stocks went bad within 3 months. I replaced it with a Mcmillan and have had no problems. I just received 2 Manners T-2 stocks. I am extremely impressed. They are 90% carbon fiber and seem to be tough as hell.

MPI

TMR,
That is really to bad to here. I have always used Mcmillian stocks but have wanted to try the MPI thumbhole stock as well. I have held the stocks and they have appeared to be very well constucted. I appreciate the information that you are providing because I am about to make a stock purchase and they were the front runner. In my experience in dealing with them on the phone they have been extremely polite and helpful, which is more than I can say for the people at Mcmillian. I have always been a person that likes to do bisiness with people that are respectful.

Levi,

If you like to business with good people, give Tom Manners a call. They have a great product and I will definitely order more of their stocks. I just with they made them for a Bat 8.5" Model M.

Thanks TMR,
How exactly did the stocks break, and where? I was always under the impression that fiberglass could not break, I have seen it splinter but not break.
Levi

Levi,

The one stock broke in the action block area and cracked clear through to the out fiberglass shell. The other stock had cracked through the glass at the pistol grip and the forend. It was more poor work than anything. There are air pockets in the out shell everywhere and this is where the problems start.

Several years back I had 2 rifles with MPI stocks and found them to be well made. I also had good customer service. TMR, I wonder if your experience with just 2 of their stocks is a large enough statistical sample to be indicative.

Sometimes I wince when product issues are discussed online because statistical samples are often so small.

I had a McMillan stock a few years ago that broke while the gunsmith was pulling it out of the bedding form but their stocks are well made. Small statistical sample.
--------
Now that I think of it, I also had an HS Precision stock crack even though they are thought to be a fine stock maker.. So all I am saying is don't make a decision on any product based on a reall small sample of experiences or opinions.

Last edited:
I have an MPI thumbhole on a braked 300 RUM with zero issues. I had them customize the grip and adjust the length of pull and they did a great job. It's currently my favorite stock.

I have a couple of custom rifles that chipped directly behind the rear action bolt. Not sure the brand of stock though.

I suspect the bedding was a little sloppy around the recoil lug.

I emailed Manners about a month ago, and as of right now, they do not inlet for a Sako action. I'm waiting for their GAT myself.
bb204

I have an MPI on a 338/378 and it's worked out very well for me. They are a LOT more work than a mcmillan but it was cheaper when I bought it and I don't mind a little filling and sanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.