6.5 PRC Hornady brass wont size correctly. Dent on shoulder. Confused.....

Hey again everyone. Just letting you know that the dent problem is FIXED. Ive sanding (by hand) on the shell holder but thats no bueno....case hardening.....duh. taking the shell holder over to the belt sander this evening. Going to take increments of .002" at a time and see where i land. I am ALSO going to lube the necks. Can some clarify if i lube both inside and outside of the neck or just the inside? Also....do i have to use dry lube on the inside?

I also want to say ........THANK YOU SO MUCH. To all of you. This whole deal has had me so frustrated and even angry at times. (Maybe i should have stuck with the good ole .243 win........).

But again.......THANK YOU ALL. You have helped more than i expected in so many ways.

Great guys and folk in this forum.

Kevin
Do you own a headspace comparator? You need to see how much you're pushing your shoulder back. You don't have to have the die touching the shell holder or more so smashing into it. Grab a new piece of brass and measure it. Resize it without bumping the shoulder and shoot it. Measure the shoulder once more and see how much it has grown from the first firing. Then bump the should back 2-3 thou.

Last edited:
I dont have a headspace gauge or comparator. But it seems I'll be getting one soon......

Also......i took my shellholder the the belt sander and accidentally took .005" of instead of .002".

So.......now i have another problem.

When i size the shell, everything looks great, no problems.
But then when i put the shell in the rifle and close the bolt.........DENT. AGAIN.
UGHHHHH

Attachments

• IMG_20240511_181143511_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240511_181143511_HDR.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240511_181146648_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240511_181146648_HDR.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 26
Do you own a headspace comparator? You need to see how much you're pushing your shoulder back. You don't have to have the die touching the shell holder or more so smashing into it. Grab a new piece of brass and measure it. Resize it without bumping the shoulder and shoot it. Measure the shoulder once more and see how much it has grown from the first firing. Then bump the should back 2-3 thou.

Check out LE Wilson . Uses case gauge and micrometer units.

Honestly this is going to make me sound like a complete moron. (I may already).........but, i dont really understand "shoulder bump". Or even really know how you measure the shoulder. Or from what point to what point the measurement is taken. Ive never even had to deal with this before.

Honestly this is going to make me sound like a complete moron. (I may already).........but, i dont really understand "shoulder bump". Or even really know how you measure the shoulder. Or from what point to what point the measurement is taken. Ive never even had to deal with this before.
May I suggest….get on youtube and search for Ultimate Reloader, search for LE Wilson case gauge depth micrometer.
After that one look for rcbs P-mic. This should explain things for you. HTH

The question I have is it sounds like you've got an aftermarket barrel if so was the brass fired out of a production rifle. If so your production rifle may have a little more slop in the chamber and so that brass is expanded way more than what your tighter chamber is allow. So you need to measure your chamber on your rifle and then your brass and see how much of a difference there is. Because if you go buying premium brass which ones fired you may have the same issue. Because I have that issue I have two rifles chambered in 264 win mag one with a aftermarket barrel on it and I cannot switch brass between the guns that involved me beating a live round out of a barrel it hung up so bad couldn't get the bolt closed more than halfway

"how you measure the shoulder. Or from what point to what point the measurement is taken."

Shoulders are measured from a "datum line." But that's not absolutely necessary for you unless you are measuring or cutting a chamber.

Remember this: you are measuring your case in your rifle. If you have an unfired case, measure from some point on the shoulder to the base. It is unimportant if it is not the same point on the shoulder that anyone else uses, UNLESS you are using their specifications. but if you are measuring your unfired brass, then measuring the same brass with the same tools after firing, you have a measurement of the growth upon firing and will be able to establish how much you need to "bump" the shoulder back when you resize.

How do you measure from a shoulder to a base? There are tools made for this. I have several, and they are really only a tube that fits around the neck, has a flat top to measure from, and usually a chamfered inside cut on the bottom (that goes against the shoulder) so you are measuring from the same place every time. I have used tools made by good die makers, but I think if you use a piece of tubing that fits around the neck and has a flat top, and your micrometer sits flat agains the top of the tubing and flat against the base of the case, you will get a repeatable measurement and will know how much your brass is growing and how much you are bumping it back.

Hornady makes a set of these tools, called a comparator, if you want to be able to get the same measurement the chamber maker got. But really, you are measuring the growth, and then the bump, of your case before it is fired, after it is fired, and after it is "bumped".

i hope this makes sense.

OK, after reading all this advice, here is a simple step to set your die up without a comparator measuring tool.
Firstly, strip your rifle bolt, clean your chamber, (that dent looks like it's from a foreign body), then screw your die in with the ram up, don't tighten the lock ring. Screw it in until firm contact with shell holder. Size a case, clean the lube off and try to chamber it. If it doesn't chamber, turn the die in 1/12 of a turn PAST touching. Size a DIFFERENT case and repeat procedure until the bolt closes with some resistance, then add another 1/24 turn IN. This should give you a .003" headspace clearance. Before ending this, measure the case at the .200" up line from the case head, if scuffing or shiny spots are present after sizing, you NEED to know by how much that brass is expanded…

Let me know how this goes for you, I can help more if necessary.

Cheers.

Its a factory Ruger barrel. And thank you for the shoulder bump explanation. Yes it did make sense. I was also wondering......the brass i have is used to test fire factory rifles before they are boxed and sold. 3 to 4 rounds are fired the another rifle swapped out , the 3 to 4 rounds fired then repeat.
Is it possible that the brasa is varying so much because its fired out of so many different rifles?
Something just doesn't make sense. Ive never had this much trouble reloading a cartridge for a rifle in my life.

Do you know how to disassemble a Ruger bolt?
With it cocked out of the rifle, look at the cocking piece, there is a 1/8" hole. Place something, a drill bit, into the hole and unscrew the firing pin assembly from the bolt body. Use your disassembled bolt to work out your best headspace with that brass.
Keep me informed.

Cheers.