Moving to Montana Need Info on Where to Shoot and Kill things

Ddwarren

Hey guys,
I am in final negotiations to move to Helena Montana and have spend a total of 3 days there in my life. Can any locals give me ideas on where to shoot, where to live and where to kill things! Thanks
Dev

I shoot around the back side of the lake ( canyon ferry )on state/national forest ground i can get out to 1250 in 1 spot , i have a rancher friend where i go if im after 1500 or more. If im going 1000 or less i just go up magpie gulch ,1 spot is up to 400 if you go farther up the canyon you can get 1050 but if you go clean to the top you got over 1000 easy cross canyon. Thats up in the national forest. As for where to kill things theres national forests /state grounds / block management all around deer elk bear antelope gophers ,all kinds of misc around even more and more stinkin wolves which im hopeing we can get tags for sooner than later. I dont know what to tell you on where to live , just have to look around. Guess it depends if you want big house ,close to lake , away from town ,in town ? What you after ?

Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is plenty of wide open areas to go embarass myself.

How hard is it to get an over the counter license for big game for this fall?

When you say gophers, do you mean prairie dogs? In colorado we have both, but gophers stay underground all the time and prairie dogs run around trying to catch varmit grenades. Where do I find them to shoo them?

we got them both here to but i just shoot gophers because its only 10 miles from my house. you have to be a resident for 180 days then you can buy a general deer and elk tag over the counter or sportsman license. Cant remember what i paid this spring for a sportsmans with bear......Looked it up its 85.00 includes conservation,state lands, deer A , elk and black bear also lets you fish and shoot upland birds - excluding turkeys. All the surplus stuff goes on sale in august.....i think its the tenth this year but dont hold me to it. deer antelope and some elk -mostly cow if i remember right. Never buy any extra elk stuff just whitetail and antelope.

How hard is it to get an over the counter license for big game for this fall?

When you say gophers, do you mean prairie dogs? In colorado we have both, but gophers stay underground all the time and prairie dogs run around trying to catch varmit grenades. Where do I find them to shoo them?

You need to be a resident for 180 days to purchase resident licenses and tags. You might be able to buy over the counter non-resident antlerless and doe/fawn tags? Best thing to do is call Montana FWP at 406-444-2535 to get first hand info from the people who know.

It's usually not too hard to find places to shoot prairie dogs. Ask around and do some foot work. Be friendly and respectful and you should do just fine.

Hope this helps and welcome to Montana,

-MR

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the info and insights. I am going up next week to finish negotiating the contract. If it works well I will be there Aug 1. I would like to look you all up if you dont mind.

I am really looking for a tag for my wife for her first elk. I already have my hunts set back in Colorado for this year. I will be resident then next year. I want her to kill a cow first and am in the process of building her an elk rifle.

Thanks again and look forward to meeting you.
Dev

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the info and insights. I am going up next week to finish negotiating the contract. If it works well I will be there Aug 1. I would like to look you all up if you dont mind.

I am really looking for a tag for my wife for her first elk. I already have my hunts set back in Colorado for this year. I will be resident then next year. I want her to kill a cow first and am in the process of building her an elk rifle.

Thanks again and look forward to meeting you.
Dev

Maybe we can do a PD shoot next spring, or maybe an outside chance of one this fall. Keep checking this forum.

Best,

Mark

Flyingtxn, I hope it works out for you. I had things worked out to move to the Kalispell area six years ago and it fell through. The country is beautiful, and even better, the people are the nicest you will ever meet. I think about it every day while i'm still here in the western WA rate race. You try to be nice to people here and they start looking at you like you have an axe in your hand. If your into flyfishing maybe we can meet up once you get settled. Again good luck.

We really should get some sort of shoot going around here. I'd love to do a sniper golf type of thing, but more hunting oriented as opposed to tactical. Plenty of space to do it if we just get everyone together.

Gentlemen,
It is final. I am moving up to start work on August 3rd. I would like to contact each of you so we can meet up. I will hopefully have internet and such by the 10th of August. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you.
Dev

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.