Moving Target

the blur

150-200 yards. Elk moving pretty quickly. Got off a few shots. Missed every shot. How can I practice moving targets?

I kill every stationary deer, or even a slow walking deer. But these Elk were cruising. Spooked badly...

It is not easy, even if you practice moving targets do you know the speed an animal like that can move? There are times when a man should show restrain. We just got done with a week of shooting movers and a qual that sends guys home. Unfortunately they don't have the luxury of restraint…
Added so you don't think I'm beating you up: A few weeks back I shot an antelope doe at 350 yards right behind the shoulder (broadside), she stood there longer than I cared for and was gonna shoot her again when a buck nudged her and she started walking, quartering away. I put a small lead on her (used to shooting a 12" target walking at a man's speed) and ended up dropping her stomach and intestines on the ground with the 2nd shot. Felt really bad and immediately shot her in the back of the head. Point is that we shoot movers on the regular and I misjudged her speed and hit back.

Last edited:
It is not easy, even if you practice moving targets do you know the speed an animal like that can move? There are times when a man should show restrain. We just got done with a week of shooting movers and a qual that sends guys home. Unfortunately they don't have the luxury of restraint…
I agree. I trained on movers, shooting on the move, and other dynamic shooting scenarios 2-3 times a week for years to get to that level. And even then my moving target big game was only 50 yards away. Coyote longest target was 94 yards, and running chuck was 224 yards. Nowadays I'm so out of practice I'd only shoot and moving yotes, bunnies, and rats.

Added so you don't think I'm beating you up: A few weeks back I shot an antelope doe at 350 yards right behind the shoulder (broadside), she stood there longer than I cared for and was gonna shoot her again when a buck nudged her and she started walking, quartering away. I put a small lead on her (used to shooting a 12" target walking at a man's speed) and ended up dropping her stomach and intestines on the ground with the 2nd shot. Felt really bad and immediately shot her in the back of the head. Point is that we shoot movers on the regular and I misjudged her speed and hit back.
Yup I had a similar situation happen to me this past year. I shot a moving chuck at a little over 400 yards. It was moving slow but I still hit it a few inches back. I felt pretty bad too. It made me rethink my load and re-evaluate my shooting abilities.