Life sized elk target

.gacton

Looking at building a life sized elk target. Trying to get ready for my first elk hunt this fall. Second rifle season in CO. Would like to be able to move it to different distances and angles/views. Just realized, I'm not sure how big to make it! Lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm no artist, by any means, so it will probably be body and neck. Height at the back and length from front of neck to rear of quarter.

Looking at building a life sized elk target. Trying to get ready for my first elk hunt this fall. Second rifle season in CO. Would like to be able to move it to different distances and angles/views. Just realized, I'm not sure how big to make it! Lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm no artist, by any means, so it will probably be body and neck. Height at the back and length from front of neck to rear of quarter.
Adults grow to around 6–10 ft (1.8–3 m) in length and stand 2.5–5.6 ft (0.75–1.7 m) tall at the wither. Elk bulls generally weigh between 700 and 1100 lb (300–500 kg), while cows weigh 575–625 lb (260–285 kg).

Thanks for the replies. We use full sized targets for training the younger hunters in the family as they grow up. Deer, coyote, even beaver and squirrel. It helps them understand what to look for and keeps them interested in shooting when paper targets get boring. Thought this might do the same for the group going on this trip.

For what it is worth >>> https://www.bigskyrealarcherytargets.com/Products/Targets/Elk/

Get yourself something like a real estate sign and make your target half the size of the interior of that, after all your shooting at vitals, but the sign will be plenty big enough to see out to a half mile, there lite, portable and go anywhere, start at 300yds and keep moving back until you can't consistently hit your target in the middle, that'll give you a real good idea of "your" effective range, you can always attach cardboard or some old paneling or something to the sign if it has to be bigger, you can pick up the signs in Home Depot or lowes in the for sale sign section, you'll enjoy the fact there easy to pack and very portable and if you hang AR steel in the middle you can hear your hits from distance, just my 02 have fun with it I'm sure you'll get plenty of good ideas lot of hunters here doing the same thing

I have to check with one of my shooting friends. He has a computer program to make targets that look actual size up close, but actually hard to explain, If you look at it at say 50-100 yrds you can put the acutal size of something 100, 200, 300, 400, ect. He uses it to train beginner shooters for shooting off of Barricades for PRS shooting without having the actual say 1,000 yd range. I will try to post the next few days.
Len & Jill

I LOVE my 2d elk target by Life Size Animal Targets. It's durable, easy to setup and takedown, and the exact size specifications of an elk. Here's a link to the one I have https://lifesizeanimaltargets.com/product/life-size-elk-target/. I use it with both my gun (wood backstop) and my bow (I put a shooting block behind it).