Want to take dad to Wyoming for any size bull elk.

Bob L.

Any suggestions for a unit that is easy to draw that has good elk numbers? Not needing 300-330+ bulls just a chance for dad to kill any kind of bull and have a fun hunt. We have no points.
Thanks

If you're going DIY Region G Wyoming. Has more National Forest and less wilderness area.

If not, Region H is easier to draw but has a lot more wilderness so DIY guys that are non resident are a little more limited. I highly recommend Dustin Child - Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Awesome guy and a great guide service.

You're thinking of the deer application. There are no regions for elk.

I would still recommend general though and to find a good outfitter. If you want to hunt this year you'll most likely have to put general first choice in the special draw.

You may want to check out Areas 84 and 86 and Hoback Peak Outfitters.

Thank you, it will be a DIY rifle elk hunt. I cannot afford a guide. Just looking for opportunity with decent elk numbers doesn't need to be a trophy bull just a good opportunity hunt.
Thanks

In your case where you don't have any PPs for elk in Wyoming and it would be next to impossible to get bull tags, you would be much better off putting in for tags in Montana. The last few years since they eliminated the guaranteed outfitter licenses there have been a lot of tags left after the draw that are then sold OTC. Even the Special Draw for a General Tag in Wyoming was not a 100% draw last year and that's the only one you would probably have a chance to draw in.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.