Mountain Ops Vs Coffee/Energy drinks

You pee a lot because because caffeine is a diarrhetic. If you don't want to pee a lot don't drink caffeine. It dehydrates you.

Mountain ops, and certain energy drinks also add vitamin Bs and an bunch of other garbage like sugar if you do the non sugar free ones.

What I do, since I exclusive pack hunt, and so I'm not p1ssed off all day is drink pour over coffee for caffeine.
Great way to start the day imo.

When hiking hard and covering a lot if miles, especially if water is plentiful and in the early season, I bring some liquid IV packets.

I'm gonna have to try some of this stuff. I love the energy I feel from coffee and energy drinks. But hate the shakes and over stimulating feeling it gives me.

I still use Advocare Spark after being awake 3-4 hours. It doesn't make me jittery, forces me to drink more water, and tastes good. First drink of the day is still typically Liquid IV, followed by coffee, just to try and get rehydrated after not drinking for 6-8 hours (sleeping).

Mtn Ops and energy drinks are different versions of the same thing. May have more or less of certain ingredients but the key to remember is it is a supplement. Supplement to good food and sleep.

Usually take one bottle of plain water and one with some electrolytes, I like LMNT. As others have said B vitamins.

Best advice yet^^^^^

All preworkout and energy drinks are a massive stimulant overload on your nervous system. They will typically elevate your blood pressure and your heart rate. This doesn't always play well with breaking a clean shot at extended ranges. If you choose to use them I would do it sparingly, there is no substitute for good sleep cycles and proper nutrition.

I use the Nuun energy tablets which are electrolytes and caffeine. Not as much caffeine as a lot of the other options but enough to get you going. Come in a little tube from REI and I just stick one in a Nalgene bottle and let it dissolve. I am sure MTN Ops is great, but I am not a Utah shed hunter and don't have a big enough Instagram following to justify the expense lol.

So what do you guys think? Trying to find a replacement that doesn't make me pee so much. Love something that would give all day energy. Mountain ops is pricey and was wondering if that was worth it?
You could try BC Powders with a few swallows from whatever liquid you have available. The aspirin/caffeine powder woke me right up in the mornings before my shift…

I have since switched to these and start every morning with one…..but you'd have to mix it with a bottled water which would definitely make 'nature' call at some point. 🤷‍♂️

Jet Alert caffeine tablets...$4 for 100 @Walmart. Each one contains about the same caffeine as 2 cups of coffee...then again, caffeine is going to pull the water out.

I would not recommend aspirin as it is an anticoagulant. A bleeding injury the backcountry would be compounded by its action.

Last edited:

Recent Posts