Hunting from mountain bikes?

I wish I had a single-wheel trailer, but I do have one with two wheels. It is supposedly rated for 100lbs, but may hold more now. Today's project involved riveting aluminum C-channel pieced to support the nylon bottom.

If it's a Burley, 3/8 alum bar stock will slide right in the brackets. The plywood deck can then sit or be screwed to the bar stock.

If you're packing an Elk out on rough terrain, a single wheel bob trailer sucks big time. Two wheels will keep the trailer upright.

Attachments

• IMG_0505 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0505 (Medium).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0506 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0506 (Medium).JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 104
I use a bike here in Alaska when I can. I ride downhill and walk it up, saves a ton of time and energy. Then, if you're lucky enough to be successful, you can frame up the pack on the bike and walk it out. I walked out a pack with an entire brown bear hide last year and the bike saved me. If I hadn't had the bike I don't know what I'd have done.

If it's a Burley, 3/8 alum bar stock will slide right in the brackets. The plywood deck can then sit or be screwed to the bar stock.

If you're packing an Elk out on rough terrain, a single wheel bob trailer sucks big time. Two wheels will keep the trailer upright.

Mine is just a cheap one I got at Fred Meyer. This is what I did to it.

Attachments

• 20150829_172415[1].jpg
    20150829_172415[1].jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 131
Been using the bike for the last week. Been humping some trails east of Coeur d"alene. For the miles I covered today I should be dead. Theyre still not talking where I am, but I'm going back out in the am. Absolutely gorgeous and the bike makes it a breeze (sorta). Cart will be on the menu for next year.
Best of luck,
Nathan

I seem to be the only one not hearing them for the most part. Not in the same mountains but near by ive spoken w people who are supposedly hearing them. Gotta wonder how much of that is other hunters calling though. I heard some calling down in a draw sat morning but i also saw a truck parked in the bottom of it so i counted that as another hunter. On a related note, was not paying attn to the trail and looking where id seen some grouse the morning before, when my front tire found a large hole that id made note of but never filled. Long story short went over the handle bars but was able to run it out somehow. Had a pretty full pack and bow on my back so it could have been disastrous. Feeling pretty lucky.
Be safe!

Oh boy. I had an interesting moment crossing a little creek too. Nearly endoed. It is a little interesting with that much weight on your back. I may look into a little rack to mount to the back.

The only bull I have had calling here was way back of beyond. Nice boy too maybe 330. Was glassing him from a high ridge. I had him calling and thrashing pines while I was calling from the ridge. When I worked close and bugled he just gathered cows and left. Still warm here I don't think they feel like fighting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.