Most consistent priming tool

Kaveman44

I have a Lee Work bench Priming Tool and the primers I am be seating are as deep as .015 . What's the best tool that has the most consistency, and how big of a deal is the difference in seating depths, say one is 0.012 and the next is 0.005

The few that I load I use a Sinclair Phase II? By hand but it seems to work pretty good.
I like it because it lets me feel what's going on and doesn't have a lot of leverage
so I can't really force it.

Last edited:
If you're seeing that much difference in seating depth you're either crushing your primers, or the pockets need to be uniformed. A micrometer seating tool will seat them to a consistent depth, but if the anvil is .015" from the bottom of the pocket you may experience misfires.

I guess that if your concerned with that you are uniforming pockets. If not try it. I was pretty surprised what came out of some and not others on Norma brass. Between that and de-burring flash holes ES went down nicely.

I guess that if your concerned with that you are uniforming pockets. If not try it. I was pretty surprised what came out of some and not others on Norma brass. Between that and de-burring flash holes ES went down nicely.
As long as you uniform the primer pockets, what's wrong with just seating primers to set at the bottom of the pocket and move on?

As long as you uniform the primer pockets, what's wrong with just seating primers to set at the bottom of the pocket and move on?
Seems to work well for me. I was truly surprised at the difference it made. Although I am a hunter, not an F class or 1000 yd shooter. Not sure I know the difference between the 2.

I have the FA hand priming tool and find it helps me seat primers more consitantly. As once it is set up you can only psh the primer so far and the priming tool stops. When set up you can not crush a primer and set up is as easy as turning a dial.
What are you guys using for primer pocket uniformers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.