most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Rem 700 LTR in .308 shoots .5-.75" groups at 200 yards firing prone with a 4X fixed scope and no bench rest. That said, it was expensive and although I love it, I'm sure the Savages are worth a look.

weatherby vanguard

the vanguard seems to shoot better and have a better overall fit and finish than the savage.. it is also a better value than the tikka price wise.. the newer savages with the accutrigger are good, but not as good overall as the weatherby in the sub-moa category wich shot factory ammo at .375 of an inch .. my savage seems to be happy shooting 1 inch groups , and doesnt point or balance as well as the vanguard.. the raised cheek on the stock is another plus in my book.. only thing id really give the savage is that the safety on the tang is a plus

Savage LRPV
SavageLRPV.jpg
IM001149.jpg
IM001150.jpg

Last edited:
Have 2 Browning A-Bolts (7MM-08 & 7MM Rem Mag.) that consistently shoot just under and inch. Have a older Browning Model 81 BLR (.308) That can almost do as good, which was quite a suprise for a lever gun.

I have had good luck with Brownings.

Dee

I have sold almost all of my others and replaced them with Savage. If I cant afford to customize it I can shoot it like it is.

For consistantly getting a high % of rifles that shoot extremely well, Savage is by far the best buy on the market. Used to be that they were not overly attractive rifles but that is starting to get better. With that however the cost of the rifles have increased but all in all, I believe they are the best value in an accurate rifle out of the box.

I have seen amazing shooting specimens from all makers of rifles, if they all shot like that I would not be in business but on average, the Savage is hard to beat. After that I would say the older Sakos would be right there as well. The newer ones, not so much anymore.

Kirby Allen(50)

+1. I have the Savage 111F and SAKO M995 ... both in .300WM.

I guess I just don't understand... Savage do have a good reputation for having good out of the box accuracy, but Sako??? or Browning??? or CZ??? Even though I realize that I got a lemon I refuse to believe that Savage is producing a better rifle than Sako or Browing, or CZ, or weatherby to name a few for so much less money. They have great floating bolt head,... well, enough said...

savage modle 12 best shooting gun out of the box I have ever seen! One hole with privi ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts