Most accurate factory rifle for the 6.5 CM

I didn't buy 3 of them just because they were pretty. The 2 Creedmoors (Sauer and Mauser) both shoot consistently below 1/4 MOA.
So, I sold my Tikka T3 30-06 for $800 and bought a new Sauer 30-06 for the same amount of money. No matter what ammo I try, it shoots better than the Tikka. Federal, Hornady, Berger, Winchester LRAB 190 grain, Fiocchi 165 and 180 grain, Fusion 180 all shoot better than the Tikka. I would never say that if you don't have one of these rifles that you are a fool. I would not say it, but when I hear person after person struggling to get their new Christianson or highly customized high dollar rifle to shoot, even after a new stock, new barrel and a year of painstakingly hand loading and then they are relieved to finally settle for 3/4 MOA, I am reluctant to say much because they have invested thousands. But I do feel sorry for them.
Part of it is the disbelief that any new design could possibly be better than the tried and true.
Part of it is the popular notion that any rifle costing half as much as a custom class rifle could ever shoot as well.
I don't pretend to know what those Germans were thinking when they produced a Sauer for less than $800 because its never happened before. But I think they had a point to prove. When I saw they came out with basically the same rifle with a synthetic stock under the Mauser brand for $429...I couldn't order one fast enough. Haven't had much time to test it but so far I don't regret it.
300 yards, Hornady factory ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Im looking for a new factory rifle in the 6.5 CM The one issue I have is that im 6' 5" so a LOP of 13.5 is like shooting a youth rifle. I can do with a 13.75 but not less than that.
Just like everyone else on this site the most important thing is accuracy. Id like to spend up to $1800 any help would be appreciated
"FACTORY RIFLE " Come on, guys! I know that extreme long range is a custom endeavor. But this OP asked for a factory rifle. That means out of the box without a bunch of aftermarket upgrades. Otherwise, you are just stringing him along toward a expensive customized rifle.

Perhaps the OP should say whether he is looking a 12 lb'ish tripod mounted 1200 yard rifle or a carry rifle for up to 600 yards.
These are two completely different beasts.

I've had really good luck with my Bergara. The bigger group is 20 shots when I was breaking in the gun with factory hornady ammo. The small group is a 5 shot group of reloads I did.
20190306_091432.jpg
Screenshot_20220101-164853_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211231-220204_Gallery.jpg

What's your weight limit? Chassis gun or stock? Budget? For a chassis rifle, the Daniel Defense DD5 Pro is probably it…1/2 MOA guarantee and many shoot 1/4 MOA, some better. ~11.5lbs. Pretty spendy though. $2500. However, they are really impressive for a production rifle. They drive nails.

Sauer 100's are made in Germany in the same factory that produces the other HIGH $$$$$ Sauers and Mauser M18 also made in that factory.

As BA Baracus would say: "I pity the fool who doesn't own at least one of these rifles!"
I looked at the Sauers and found one in 30-06 that I liked and your right the bolt is one of the smoothest bolts on the market but what killed the deal on 30 cal Sauers is the barrel twist is 1-11 twist! WHY? No new gun maker has a 1-11 twist that I know of.Even Tikka left the 1-11 behind.
I found out the 308 was 1-11 also and I would bet the 300 win mag is 1-11 twist also.
Deal killer for me

I looked at the Sauers and found one in 30-06 that I liked and your right the bolt is one of the smoothest bolts on the market but what killed the deal on 30 cal Sauers is the barrel twist is 1-11 twist! WHY? No new gun maker has a 1-11 twist that I know of.Even Tikka left the 1-11 behind.
I found out the 308 was 1-11 also and I would bet the 300 win mag is 1-11 twist also.
Deal killer for me
yeah, I haven't tried any real long heavies in mine for that reason, so I don't know yet how long and heavy I can go and still get stable flight. Mine does shoot 190 grain LRAB really well, so at least I know it can go that heavy and still perform well. It drills kills with 165's and 180's too. Whenever I try 220's I will post my results.

My 5R Milspec is 1-11.25, designed for the Mil. 175 MK load, will do 180-190 fine. I would not want to go over 190 in that case anyway, I reservethe 215-230 grain bullets to my 300WM, which is a 1-10.
My next 300 will likely be a custom tube with 1-8

I didn't buy 3 of them just because they were pretty. The 2 Creedmoors (Sauer and Mauser) both shoot consistently below 1/4 MOA.
So, I sold my Tikka T3 30-06 for $800 and bought a new Sauer 30-06 for the same amount of money. No matter what ammo I try, it shoots better than the Tikka. Federal, Hornady, Berger, Winchester LRAB 190 grain, Fiocchi 165 and 180 grain, Fusion 180 all shoot better than the Tikka. I would never say that if you don't have one of these rifles that you are a fool. I would not say it, but when I hear person after person struggling to get their new Christianson or highly customized high dollar rifle to shoot, even after a new stock, new barrel and a year of painstakingly hand loading and then they are relieved to finally settle for 3/4 MOA, I am reluctant to say much because they have invested thousands. But I do feel sorry for them.
Part of it is the disbelief that any new design could possibly be better than the tried and true.
Part of it is the popular notion that any rifle costing half as much as a custom class rifle could ever shoot as well.
I don't pretend to know what those Germans were thinking when they produced a Sauer for less than $800 because its never happened before. But I think they had a point to prove. When I saw they came out with basically the same rifle with a synthetic stock under the Mauser brand for $429...I couldn't order one fast enough. Haven't had much time to test it but so far I don't regret it.
300 yards, Hornady factory ammo.
I agree, alot of times we may think it takes an expensive custom to get those 1/4" groups. I hear more and more about the Mauser

Are you looking for hunting rifle or target, I'm gonna get a Tikka for hunting, much cheaper than what you want to spend, at your price point I think the Springfield waypoint would be a solid choice.

I actually bought a Savage axis precision rifle for under 800 at my local gun dealer, seen it sitting there and I figured give it a go since I haven't been disappointed with any savages I've had, started with generic load and it was under an inch to start with, in no time I got a load shooting 3/8 of inch all day long, shooting so good I stopped there and went back to work with load development on my savage 223 walking varmintor, yesterday shot two in a row quarter inch groups with it, 5 shots, now working on my savage AR-15. Would like to add that savage precision reviewed in one mag said it was the most accurate factory chassis rifle they ever tested with an average group of 3/4 with all the ammo they tested, that's saying a lot considering how crowded this category is now, I'm very happy with it.

I will say I've had my walking varminter for years and it was always a good shooter, that's why I've kept it but getting a good press and better dies is why it is exceptional now, any one of these guns everyone is suggesting will shoot amazing if you can make the right load for it, ammo is expensive, you can make the best stuff yourself and much cheaper.

Recent Posts