Bullets for the 6.5 CM

Been out shooting today and one of my projects was to work up a load for the 156 EOL in a CM. I may be switching to the 156 ELOs. With a 24" barrel using 41.2 gr H4350 they are shooting 2680 and carrying 1000 ft/lb at 1000 yards. This new EOL was very easy to load and delivered respectable accuracy with minimal effort. 1:8 twist seems to be plenty to stabilize them at 3500 feet. To give Berger credit when due, the 156 EOL is a really nice product. All of our PRCs are using the 156 this season and seems to be a perfect match. No game yet but reports look promising. This season should let us know what they are capable of; not really worried.

Being stuck in California ive got to be lead free. So choices are much more limited but I have found good success with Barnes 120grain TTSX. 1/4" groups at 100 yards
Warner Tool has monolithic that are supposed to be awesome too. They have a 123 gr with a published BC of a 140 grain. G1 of .639 G7 .32

I stick with the ELDM's in 140 and 147grain for paper/steel punching and plan to use the 143g ELDx's for hunting. These are both for my bolt action rifles. I have an AR-10 in 6.5CM and unless I'm shooting past 500yards (Which I haven't done yet due to range availability in Pennsylvania) I use the 140g HPBT or matchburners because I bought a quantity of each for a reasonable price. Trying to keep the CPR down when shooting the autos.

140gr ELD-M and Berger 140gr Hybrids are what I run through my CTR. 42.5 grain of H4350 and Lapua brass. That seems to give me the best results

In 2019 I shot a very mature mule deer buck at about 80 yds. 6.5x06 using the ( MV 3075 fps ) Hornady 143 ELDx. First time I have used this bullet. The deer was at an angle facing slightly toward me. The bullet caught the very rear edge of the left shoulder blade. Blew up like a bomb. Blood shot & lost the whole front shoulder, flank meat under the shoulder & a fair amount of the lower neck meat. In all my years I have never seen a bid game bullet explode like this Hornady ELDx. Never again will I use this bullet for game. Very accurate , yes, but so are many other bullets. As far back as I can remember all the big game I have taken, elk , deer & antelope have been 200 yds or closer, with the exception of two elk taken around 300 yd & one at 347yd. The basic Sierra 6.5 140gr GK I see as a far superior game bullet , compared to the ELDx. . This last season elk & deer all taken with a 260 Rem. & a 125gr Badlands Precision copper mono bullet. All shots under 100yds. Almost zero blood shot meat.

I've killed mule deer from 80 to 380 yards with ELD-M 140 with no problems at all. This past season I switched to ELD-X 143 because they were more readily available and no issues with them either.

Ok are you looking for a hunting bullet or a target bullet . Mine likes the Hornady SST in the 129grain. Also what is the twist rate of the barrel