Getting the most out of factory rifle

midwesthunter

This is to show some what factory rifles are capable of. Rem 700 .243 Sps varmint rifle. Factory stock action bedded in. Made sure barrel was free floated no adjustment made. Trigger was adjusted to 3.5-4 pound crisp break. Now what really made this rifle shine was handloads. I found a load it really likes. Win brass 41.5 grains varget pushing 75 vmax at 3468 fps. Only thing I don't like about this load is it's ES is 36 fps. Which isn't horrible but since I'm not shooting extream distances I will live with it. I just shot this 500 yard group yesterday in 5-10 mph winds.
275aa6b7.jpg

2.75" group almost 1/2 moa. Not bad for a $400 rifle and a little work.

I got lucky with my latest factory rifle. a Mossberg Maverick in .243 Win and a Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff. 1/2 moa groups out to 300 yds(haven't had the chance to shoot further yet due to yotes calling my name) with 75 grn V-Max handloads. Finding the right bullet/powder/shell/etc combo for your gun can be a pain but ends up being worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.