Mosquito Help Needed

big fan of thermacell but we we don't get fog swarms of mosquitoes like you do.
I have duck hunted in the marshes of the Louisiana coast, where the mosquitos hover in clouds over the blinds when we first enter them in the dark. The Thermacell devices disperse them in no more than 3 minutes, literally. And the devices have a belt clip, so you can walk around with out holding it in your hand. One device sufficed for a blind 8 feet long by 3 feet wide, and lasted probably 4 hours with one wick.

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
I use thermacell in SE TX, they are bad during warm weather. But not as bad as you are describing. Oh, I use 2 at a time.

ThermaCELL with extra consumables. Also sent Lock made a bug lite suit that was great it had a face net that was a quick zip in zipout

Try to find some Avon 'Skin so Soft' It comes in an oil lotion form but I found the stick deoderant style better, I didn't like the oil on my hands. I fished in waters with biting flies and it kept them away and keep the stick style in my golf bag. Keeps the bugs away. Walmart may carry it.

Check the Thermacell website, they have a lot of products to choose from. I'm sure you can find a product, or combination of products, to work with the way you hunt. If you add a Bug Tamer brand suit to the mix, you should remain bite free.

This is the nicest thread on here.
No one is fussing about what weapon we use to kill them, factory or reloads, or with what we use to view.
I can kill as many as I want, far or near and even if I wound one and it dies a slow painful death, no body really cares.
LOL

Ol'Red, you say you eat a clove of garlic. My understanding is that a clove of garlic is made up of 10 or 12 teeth. I'm assuming you only eat one tooth.

The new miliitary clothing comes with built in bug repellant. I have Ex-Officio Buzz Off shirts, and they work for me. We don't usually get swarms here in NM, but we had a wet year this year, so had the most I've ever seen. I had one arm sticking out of my sleeping bag, and it looked like I'd broken out in hives form the no-seeums. I have one of those tennis raquet bug zappers. It works like a charm to clear out the mosquitos in your tent.

I used to have some Swedish net long johns. They wicked moisture so they were comfortable in the heat. With a shirt or pants over them, they were bug proof. I don't think they are made anymore.

My dad started smoking cigars when he lived in New Orleans to repel mosquitos.

Last edited:
Ol'Red, you say you eat a clove of garlic. My understanding is that a clove of garlic is made up of 10 or 12 teeth. I'm assuming you only eat one tooth.

The new miliitary clothing comes with built in bug repellant. I have Ex-Officio Buzz Off shirts, and they work for me. We don't usually get swarms here in NM, but we had a wet year this year, so had the most I've ever seen. I had one arm sticking out of my sleeping bag, and it looked like I'd broken out in hives form the no-seeums. I have one of those tennis raquet bug zappers. It works like a charm to clear out the mosquitos in your tent.

I used to have some Swedish net long johns. They wicked moisture so they were comfortable in the heat. With a shirt or pants over them, they were bug proof. I don't think they are made anymore.

My dad started smoking cigars when he lived in New Orleans to repel mosquitos.
I guess what you call a clove, I call a bulb. What you call a tooth, I call a clove. So one tooth and a jalapeno with breakfast and supper. We don't have a lot of mosquito problems here in WY, but I still eat a lot of garlic and jalapenos. When deboning caribou, with sleeves rolled up and arms covered in blood, the no-seeums still attacked my forearms.

Getting bit by Mosquitoes is one thing. What diseases they can carry is the bad part. 2005 I was working in deer season checking an area that had a pond, creek and swamp. Got bit by 5-6 mosquitoes along the WV-PA border. Guess a mosquito bit a sick bird that had come to the area. 8 days later I went out of it. A friend called me, Said I was squirrely, He called 911 and told the operator how I was talking and I lived alone, 911 sent an ambulance for me.

All I remember for several days was a woman's voice " Oh My God, His temperature is 106.2". I remember being cold from my knees up and my elbows up. They had packed me in ice or ice packs.
I spent 21 days in the hospital with a Pick Line and 3 bags of Anti-Biotics every 8 hours. I survived, But I have never got back to the old me. I was the first person in the hospital with West Nile Disease. They did not call it West Nile but treated me with anti-biotics and I survived.

I use a Thermacell, bug dope, face mask, gloves and Garters on pants legs, I hate to hear mosquitos wings, I get nervous.

Sevin.....real Sevin.....not lowes or amazon Sevin kills insects extremely well and lasts for quite a long time. I would have to spray probably 5000 acres with a copter to eliminate them for this...lol. Not as good as DDT according to my dad, and its what we have today. There are a few others (wish I had some DDT) around in spray sheds they dont make anymore. It's guarded better than Fort Knox rest assured.
Mosquitoes don't travel as far a people think. 150 feet in all directions will give you a skeeter free zone.