Mosquito Help Needed

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
I have a creek in my back yard that produces mosquitoes galore. The only way I was able to control them was with a backpack mister spraying IC3 natural based insecticide. It is safe for animals, pets and fish! It works for about three weeks. You could schlep over to the hunting area with back pack mister and mist a week before to control the mass of clouds in the area and then enjoy a controlled hunt the next week. You could clear 1/2 acre easily of mosquitoes.

I searched with little luck for previous threads. We need some tested and proven ideas and help dealing with insane amounts of mosquitoes. Found a great bear area last year, and the Mosquitoes are in clouds. Not just a lot...literally a cloud around you. We either deal with them or stop going to this area. The bears are pretty nice we saw just the mosquitoes drove us out after three days. The only way we could keep them from biting us was face mesh, two layers of clothes, and constant (until we ran out) of deet spray. One of the kids had a small gap in his face mask and shirt. Looked like he was branded with a running iron over his shoulder in one day. One layer of clothes and they could and would bite right through where it was against the skin like shoulders, upper arms, etc. They would even bite through the mesh if it touched your neck or face. I found Sitka has some anti bug clothing. Anyone have some ways they have had success keeping them at bay and not cooking in thick clothing? Last year it was 70 degrees (Mid August) and we are hiking in the back country so physical effort is a must.
Find our what chemical Mosquito Autority uses and hose down the area in a 100' radious around your stand.

I have a creek in my back yard that produces mosquitoes galore. The only way I was able to control them was with a backpack mister spraying IC3 natural based insecticide. It is safe for animals, pets and fish! It works for about three weeks. You could schlep over to the hunting area with back pack mister and mist a week before to control the mass of clouds in the area and then enjoy a controlled hunt the next week. You could clear 1/2 acre easily of mosquitoes.
I lived in Redlands for 20 years. Oceanside 11 and Poway 17 years. I would say the skeeters were out of control but way more than here .

Find our what chemical Mosquito Autority uses and hose down the area in a 100' radious around your stand.
Sevin.....real Sevin.....not lowes or amazon Sevin kills insects extremely well and lasts for quite a long time. I would have to spray probably 5000 acres with a copter to eliminate them for this...lol. Not as good as DDT according to my dad, and its what we have today. There are a few others (wish I had some DDT) around in spray sheds they dont make anymore. It's guarded better than Fort Knox rest assured.

Cousins Larry & Jerry (a young and foolish pair) were on a road trip. They made a midnight camp on a wide spot of a backroad, right over a swamp. Larry hogged all their remaining skeeter dope, and Jerry had none. What Jerry did have was the remains of a dead cigar. In desperation he lit the stub and smoked until it was gone. The skeets returned, as did the aforementioned desperation. With no alternatives, he turned off his mind and chewed the remains of the stinking butt to a toxic slurry of saliva, ash, and tobacco juice. Then he spread the wretched mess over his skin and clothing, and went to sleep. In the morning, Jerry had 3 fresh mosquito bites. Larry had 92 bites ... on one arm. Jerry still sez you just gotta be smarter than a skeeter. They know that stuff's bad for them, so they stay away from it.
I have long suspected that throwing a package of tobacco in with the laundry's final rinse cycle might do well to augment whatever Cutters, Off, DEET, El Hemp-o Rop-o or El Stink-o Grande` one might use to send the little blighters away. Another idea I hope to try is to dry a couple of dedicated loads of laundry in the smoke from pure mesquite charcoal. It would produce a far better campfire ambiance than Avon Skin-So-Soft. When you find some stuff that works, toss your clothes in a plastic bag with a cachet of the stuff. Your cachet can be nothing more tha a pair of old socks saturated with the repellant of your choice. I have considered Parfum' De Skonk and Aromatic Cedar Oil ... the stuff that kills moths in cedar chests. . I'm pretty sure diesel wouldn't work.
One rotten trick played by logging crews was to wait until lunch time and amble among the crew on the downwind side of each, picking up their skeets in one's own leeward side. When all the skeets have been thus gathered, walk slowly past the marked man on the upwind side, shagging the whole crew's air squadrons off on him. It's a mean, juvenile trick. Don't do it.

Last edited:
NE TX has plenty of the little witches. Enough to make you not want to bow hunt in the bottoms in Oct.
My daughter will attract the only mosquito for 10 miles, sitting in the smoke at a camp fire roasting marsh mellows. We found her these little citronella arm bracelets at Walmart, they are little coiled springy plastic and stretch to fit. She loves them and they work.
As for me in the bow stand, it's thermocel every time I go.
A combination of these might do the trick for you.
I do hate mosquitos.
Good luck.

My bros went to Alaska for the salmon fishing, said the bugs were almost as bad as Scotland.
Their native guide told them the go to up there was strong soya sauce, couple tablespoons a day the week before you arrive and continue the dose whilst there.
IIRC they didn't have trouble with the bugs and they didn't get mauled by any bear as a beneficial side effect ;).

I have no idea if it's true -- as I haven't been able to confirm it but when I was young I heard that skunk cabbage was used by the eastern indians as mosquito control