Help Please

scotch egg

First post but long time reader.

I live in the Uk and want to hunt black bear for my 30th Birthday April 2014. If I could tie in any other quarry at the same time at a reasonable cost that would be a bonus. I have a very modest budget and have no idea the US regualations for a non citizen obtaining a tag.

All advice appreciated.

ATB

David

If you're looking for that time of year you're limited a bit unless you hunt critters that aren't regulated by season.

Spring bear and spring turkey would both be open, and require you to have a tag for each species as well as a hunting license. Depending on the area you hunt you may have to put in for a draw (lottery) to gain a tag also.

Depending on where you go for bear you could also potentially hunt without a tag (but most likely still need a hunting license):
Coyote
Wild pig
Exotic deer, antelope or similar species

As for what is required for a non-US resident, not sure. I'd figure out where and when you're going bear hunting first and then contact that states Fish & Wildlife service for more details.

Now if you go hunting for bear in the fall there would be more options for other game animals to hunt (of course dependant on where you hunt):
Elk
Deer: Whitetail and Muledeer
Moose
Pronghorn
Buffalo
Wolf
A variety of game birds, upland and waterfowl
And some harder to obtain tags: mountain goat and bighorn sheep

As well, the exotics, but those wouldn't really be "fair chase" animals. You'd have to hunt them on a private ranch.

I'm sure I've missed some and that the other guys will fill in. Keep us posted on your adventure.

Thank you sdkidaho for your reply. It certainly is enough to make me change the time of my trip to fall. I want to make the most of my time and it will also give me a few extra months to save up.

Skull PM received, many thanks. Canada looks pretty inviting. The size of the bear are certainly larger.

Can any one advise on rifle hire or would I be best bringing my own? I currently have a .308 and a 7mm08.

It could always be that excuse for a new rifle.....

I'd just bring either of your rifles, they'll do the trick. You'll just need a lockable case to transport them.

hey scotch egg, I say give your cash to Newfoundland,Canada.Closer to fly to,moreGiant blackbear(may-fall season)&moose-caribou also.I can personally say bear hunting is unbeatable there!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts