need some help

luger306

I have a chance to go on a black bear hunt in Saskatchewan next May I have never hunted bears or traveled that far north I will be taking my 30-06 but need to work up some loads so any help would be appreciated

You never said if this is a bolt action, auto, or pump.

All shots will be under 100yards and most around 50..to build up a load start with some Dupont
IMR4064 for a .3006. use some SSTs in 165 to 180grs. Bears are not that hard to kill as long as you learn to shoot from a stand, it could be above ground or on the ground. Mostly above around 15ft, bring a small milk jug you may need it.
Is this a guided hunt? if so check with the people, all it needs is a good lung shot, if it runs off, it may make a bloody mess for 50yards.

Keep in touch and let us know if you have a guide. Oh! May? it gets frost so dress for the ocasion. a good pair of boots from Cabelas, I would loan you mine, but they stay with me.
temps may see 45 to 65s in the day and morning and evenings in the low 30s.
I doubt you will have a shot from the ground unles they just timberd it (over 70 yards).
Trust me the SST is one badass bullet.

thank for the info KC it is a bolt action and the sst 165 and 4064 is the load I use for deer the cold is winter for us

You'll likely be hunting over bait in Saskatchewan, giving you ample time to assess the bruin and allowing you to wait for a good angle. Consequently, the 165 SSTs will do a great job anchoring your bear, provided you place the shot where it belongs. Best of luck to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.