More exact way of finding .000 jump

The hornady tool has a weird thread so making your own case might involve taking it somewhere. It will need to have the neck slightly expanded if it's been resized

No it's not outside to inside on collet measure but simple inside to inside.

View attachment 211388
View attachment 211389
View attachment 211390

And yes, as I said "You can then make a dummy round, using that same bullet, to this COAL, and measure CBTO from it. This is what you would log."
I guess you will have to school me I've been doing this same thing for years with a 3/16 brass rod with drill bit collets when you put each collet against the end of the barrel I have always had to deduct the width of one collet to get the right measurement I must be missing something sometime the easy things slide by me to looks like you would have to add the width of a collet. David

R-P Use.jpg

Okay what I was doing different was I am putting one collet on getting bolt face measurement then putting other collet on getting bullet measurement then I deduct the first collet from my outside measurement that was the way I was showed years ago and I never expanded on it guess there more than one way to skin a squirrel thanks for the schooling. David

I use 3/16 brass rod you buy at hardware store don't know what others use the collets were the hard part had to buy 2 sets to get the ones I needed. David

My setup was made by R-P Products, but they don't exist anymore. I also have similar from Sinclair that is no longer offered..
There is this plastic kit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012713931?pid=190644
But nothing of our endeavor should be made of plastic.

Easy enough to make tight fitting metal collars for a metal cleaning rod. Or drill bit stops
You don't have to do anything with the bolt but put it in & close it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.