Way too much jump but limited??

markopolo50

OK, I have a Kimber 8400 Mountain Ascent 300 win mag. I have only shot factory loads so far and it is fairly accurate but nothing special. I just checked the overall length to the lands (3.585") and the factory loads are (3.340), .245" shorter than the maximum. This is way too much but I am limited by the factory magazine. I can only gain .060" (3.400") if I handload to the maximum mag length. I see there is a spacer with a ramp in the rear of the magazine. Are there different magazines for these rifles or am I stuck with this much jump?

I have one and yes you can either remove the spacer, or buy the 375 length box.

BUT, I found if you tune to mag length, you can still print less than MoA with little trouble using good handmade.

A big jump DOES NOT mean pour accuracy, it MAY be harder to tune in some cases, but I find it rare. I have several Weatherbies and all have large jumps with lots of freebie, none are inaccurate.

Cheers.

Not sure about the Kimber but my M70, I located a mag box for STW and replaced it and belt sanded the ejector down to load long. Mine is CRF bolt. Had to modify the follower and change the lift spring. Works great. Might find someone that works on Kimbers.

Sorry, auto correct. Talkeetna model in 375H&H.

Cheers.

PS. I have 3 8400's in 300WM, different models and 3 8400's on 338WM, none have shot larger than MoA and most are around 1/2-3/4 Mia with tuned handloads.
My 8400 Select in 300WM is a genuine 1/2 Mia shooter with 200gr Accubond.

Cheers.

Most often cup and core bullets shoot best within 50 thousandths of the lands.
In your case, I'd load bullets closer to the lands and see if it's worth sourcing a larger mag.
Kimber makes some fine guns. But there's always a couple that sneak through the cracks. You may find this gun is very so-so in terms of accuracy.
Fwiw...I don't consider anything over MOA "acceptable". And a 215 Berger with h1000 is a proven winner.

Before you go hacking on the rifle or seeking another magazine try some handloads that fit in the magazine. In my experience there are very few factory loads that will shoot as well as my tuned hand loads. You can usually find a seating depth way off the lands that will shoot, especially if using Berger bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.