More dissappointment in some "great manufacturers".

I have alot of friends just like your friend. I go shooting with them, offer advice, and get told that they know what they're doing. I just say fine, but tell them if they want to shoot at game over 200 yards with me around it better get better. Needless to say I dont hunt with some of them anymore.

Go set up a coyote silouette at 500 yards and let him see what he can do, then show him what you can do. If he still wants his crappy scope and factory ammo he can have it. Just keep putting holes in things and he'll figure it out, if not; more dogs for you!

Sask,

I know what you mean about quality.

I remember when Remington was the "go to" rifle. They had the reputation among serious shooters as being the most accurate out of the box rifle from a factory. Any gunsmith worth his salt would work on a remmy action, and they were the "350 Chevy" of the gun world in America! We could build them into whatever money would allow. They came with decently adjustable triggers and many aftermarket triggers would pin directly in..........the new triggers are a lawyer proof joke! And these old guns shot better than factory ammo of the day would even come close to. Savage was the cheapest and ugliest thing made and they didn't have much of a rep among competition shooters of any sort.

Looks like the tables have turned. I bet I hear 10-1 nowdays about Savage being the better deal. I personally still cant quite get over the looks of the Savage bolts and actions, but they're quickly getting the beter reputation.

Unfortunately, both Remington and Leupold have outlived their fame. They are dying. Other companies are stepping up with better quality control and the "big boys" are losing out.

I hate to see this. I've promoted Remmy and Leupy for years, and I probably should've quit when I was ahead.:rolleyes:

Sask,

I know what you mean about quality.

I remember when Remington was the "go to" rifle. They had the reputation among serious shooters as being the most accurate out of the box rifle from a factory. Any gunsmith worth his salt would work on a remmy action, and they were the "350 Chevy" of the gun world in America! We could build them into whatever money would allow. They came with decently adjustable triggers and many aftermarket triggers would pin directly in..........the new triggers are a lawyer proof joke! And these old guns shot better than factory ammo of the day would even come close to. Savage was the cheapest and ugliest thing made and they didn't have much of a rep among competition shooters of any sort.

Thank you, sir. It really is a shame that two companies- even industry icons- like Remington and Leupold have let quality control sink so low.

And for the other guys- I might just have to take your advice and set up a cardboard coyote at 500 and show him what a really good setup can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.