Moose with muzzleloader

mules

This is my first post as i am a new member. I was lucky to draw a moose tag for Colorado for this year. I currently own a Renegade 54. cal muzzleloader that I have taken some elk and have used for some time now. I was debating on getting a new gun to help improve my shooting. I like the CVA Accura lr-x, Rememington ML and the CVA paramount pro. Now as most of you know Colorado is limited to open sights so can all the improvements be utilized with my old eyes.
Also, can I get help with bullets to use on heavy game like Moose and Elk. If i go with a CVA Paramount and its magnum loads, do i need to worry about bullet construction? It seems the more i look at this stuff the further down the rabbit hole i go. I need help. Thanks in advance

HI, first, welcome to the forum!

Your Renegade will do the job with proper bullet placement, and if Colorado allows the use of a peep sight as most other states do, it will be the improvement you are hoping for.

The Renegade 54 cal has a 1:48 twist, which many consider a comprimise twist capable of handling a patched ball, or a lead conical. While this is true, the reality is that the 1:48 will work with a patched ball using lighter powder charges, but is primarily a conical twist and will produce the kind of ballistics you'll need for a moose. This statement is general, and individual rifles sometimes don't read the rules.
I'll just throw this in because personal experience showed me it it true.... Pyrodex or Black powder? The rifle will have to show you which it perfers, one may prove more acurate and reliable than the other. If you want to shoot a flinter, black powder is your choice.

I have only one inline, a Thunderhawk, so all I can help with is the Renegade.
Good luck on that moose hunt!

Peep sights are legal for CO, "iron/open"--- nothing with glass, no 1x scopes, no red dots, no hographic, no sabots, loose powder only

I use an adjustable rear peep, and globe front- bh209 powder, 209 primers-- I prefer all copper bullets so I use Thor or bore-lok bullets.

Moose are a once in a lifetime type of tag-- I'd find an outfitters help out

Welcome to this forum!!
YES YES YES! Love it when I see someone hunting with a smoke pole. Wish you the best of luck. We have a new 50 cal Omega from probably 20 years ago. Shoots 45cal 250 sabot SST with 150gr of Triple7 with touching holes at 100yrds. We shot two deer with one shot between 100-200 yrs and when the bullet it, the deer lifted up & moved sideways about 2'. Then dropped. GA changed the rules for Muzzel loaders and really wasn't a season to use it anymore, so we would hunt one day, rifle, then pistol, the Muzzel and rotated to make it interesting and get a chance to use different firearms we owned. I have used Hawkins 50 flint lock from 50 years ago. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 64
Getting in close range will pay dividends. Stalking skills should be improved. Knowing how to adjust your sights for any reasonable distance beyond 100 will also be a plus. A cast solid is a potent bullet. You will need to try a variety, and find which powder and primer works consistently.
Good luck on your hunt.