Which Muzzleloader

I have a CVA and I don't think I need any more accuracy than what it delivers ! Good to 300 yards maybe farther ! I would like to have a better scope on mine one that has the different holds in it, a regular muzzleloader scope ! Mine groups at about the minute of angle at 200 yards using 250 grain smackdowns boattailed bullets made by Hornady with only two pellets propelling it ! It may group better and shoot flatter if I went to three pellets or loose powder that I hear is even better, but this is easy and fast and all the farther I intend to shoot !
What kind of cva muzzleloader do you shoot. I'm shooting the optima with consistent accuracy out to 150 yards. Looking for a load that will shoot 250-300 or a different gun. Thanks

What kind of cva muzzleloader do you shoot. I'm shooting the optima with consistent accuracy out to 150 yards. Looking for a load that will shoot 250-300 or a different gun. Thanks
If you like CVA rifles, you might want to wait until after the 2019 shot show. CVA is coming out with some new rifles with fast twists (1:22) and in .45cal. One of the new rifles is called the Paramount, a bolt action. As I understand it now, the Paramount will be capable of heavier charges of BH209 than all their other production muzzleloaders. With the right bullet and charge, it should easily be a long range rifle and very capable of yardage you're seeking.

If you like CVA rifles, you might want to wait until after the 2019 shot show. CVA is coming out with some new rifles with fast twists (1:22) and in .45cal. One of the new rifles is called the Paramount, a bolt action. As I understand it now, the Paramount will be capable of heavier charges of BH209 than all their other production muzzleloaders. With the right bullet and charge, it should easily be a long range rifle and very capable of yardage you're seeking.
Awsome. Thanks for the info

That's what I am shooting, the 50 Cal. Optima V2 with 2 Triple seven pellets and the Traditions 250 gr. Smackdown with the 3 peddled sabots that come with them. I buy the 30 pack. They are a boat tail made by Hornady ! They have the greenish yellow tip on them. I sight in for 100 yards and then use my vertical line in my scope for 150 and 200 yards ! Between the crosshair and the point of the bottom post it is on at 150 and it is on at 200 using the very point of the bottom post ! When I bought the scope I was expecting it to have multiple lines in it, but it doesn't I was just lucky that it worked out the way it did ! when I shot it in at 200 yards the last three of five shots were under 2" and all of them together was about 2&1/2 inch group ! That is all the farther that I plan to shoot, actually most places I won't be able to see that far ! The bullets went clear through the tree that I had my target stapled to, it was a 4 or 5 inch tree, they have lots of power ! I killed three deer with it the first year I had it and they all were complete pass throughs and none of them took a step that I am aware of, when the smoke cleared they were laying there ! Some of the new guns out can shoot a long ways but I would never pay the prices for some of them for all that is gained . I like shooting them because of the history behind them, actually I like the flintlocks better because they are more authentic to me, it gives you a special satisfaction when you harvest something with them, it lets your mind go back in time to when the settlers were using something very similar for survival ! Good luck with whatever you decide !

As stated by others, the CVA accura (I have a MR) is very lightweight. Add a 1", 32mm scope and it is very trim and easy to carry, even in dense woods. The nitride is awesome for cleanup. Also, the value (cost vs accuracy, etc) is outstanding.

Also, I was a little concerned with recoil on max loads, considering its lightweight, but I honestly think it kicks less than a .308 - i think it has a good stock design and recoil pad.

I will be shooting both, plus a third ML (T/C Omega) at my next range session......I own the CVA Accura V2 Nitride and a Thompson Center Omega, and my brother just bought a new RUML.......I'm hoping for good results on one of mine, because they are literally half the weight of my brother's RUML and I don't want to carry that beast in the field......the RUML is stupid heavy (even w/o scope).
Powder and bullet for the Omega?

I have been running 90 gr. (weight) BH209 along with a 275 gr Berry's Blue Diamond ML bullet.....this is my elk bullet. I shoot the 250 gr. at deer.

I am looking to have the capability to shoot out to 300 yards with confidence and possibly out to 500 yards if needed.
I will be hunting bean fields in illinois. From previous experience on the farms that i will be hunting a good 300 yard gun will be probably all i need but i would like to know that a 500 yard shot can be made.

I am looking to have the capability to shoot out to 300 yards with confidence and possibly out to 500 yards if needed.
I will be hunting bean fields in illinois. From previous experience on the farms that i will be hunting a good 300 yard gun will be probably all i need but i would like to know that a 500 yard shot can be made.
You're going to be pushing it, especially with a .50cal and 500yds. 300, doable with caution and practice. If you want 500yds with a .50cal, then the RUM or UF rifles would be my choice. With a .45cal, the Knights with a fast twist 1:20 barrels, then a high BC bullet. Easy at 300, lots of practice at 500. The new CVA Paramount is creating a stir, but it hasn't been released yet. I'm hearing towards the end of the month.
Customs, well the sky is the limit. Range finders a must.
The enemy past 200yds is always the wind, which really affects these heavier, low BC bullets. Flight time can be an issue at 500, where a 300gr bullet at 2,400fps takes a full second to reach the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.