Montana Sheep and Moose results are in

Did not draw a bighorn sheep tag once again. I now have 10 bonus points and faith that I will draw, with hope, before they slide my butt into the oven. Good luck everyone. MTG

Nothing here! I even put in for a ewe permit in an area that had something like 16 tags with 80 percent draw rate last year! This year the crazy f and the g bumped it up to 75 ewe tags, I knew it was a given! Nope! Guess that I should have used my 8 bonus points!

Nothing here! I even put in for a ewe permit in an area that had something like 16 tags with 80 percent draw rate last year! This year the crazy f and the g bumped it up to 75 ewe tags, I knew it was a given! Nope! Guess that I should have used my 8 bonus points!

I am still hoping for a Buff. If I draw you will have two shadows.:)

Jeff

You are the 5th person That I have heard of that drew Goat in that area.... 5-6 years ago we did a late summer horseback fishing trip into that area... We saw well over 100 goats. Although it was just a 7 day trip and not great to go by from what I saw a 9 inch Billy would be a shooter in that area... Since then I have had an opportunity to Lion hunt a ranch in that area and have seen Goats from the truck a few times...Good luck... Dave

I drew a goat tag in area 330 --I told everybody I would cause my knee has been giving me a fit .Thank God for Advil and go for it. going out on the 4th to do some scouting.

Area 330 can be a great area, I killed one in1988 and one in 2000. In 1988 I was a snot nosed kid and we hunted our *** off for one specific billy. Then on one day we had him dead, but some freezing to death kid shot the wrong goat! It was a 10 inch nanny! Both goats were shot in the same area at two different spots, from the same rock as a rest, and hung and butchered in the exact same tree. The last one I killed I waited until the first week in November because I had two days off from guiding elk hunters. I shot the first billy that I saw, a nice 4x8 inch goat. I packed it out, and went out the next morning and smoked a 367 inch bull elk on the park line, that was a great two days! This goat was to be purchased mounted so I had it mounted with horns cast from a big Alaskan goat and kept the European skull mount.
Last year one evening in late November I went for a horse ride into that area to look for goats. I saw a handful of goats and some mule deer. A guy got a hold of me because he had a tag for area 330 and was exited early in the year to go hunting, but he never went out once!
Get a hold of me if you need some help.

I do not know much about that area & if you are willing to give out some advice about the area and where goats might be I would be all ears . I have a friend that has horses & will be able to get in deep if need be. I plan on doing a lot of hiking in the area to get in shape & look for goats . but my right knee is giving me some problems. I am 55 so this my last chance at a goat.

Rooster.. you know anything about the unlimited range for sheep down in the absarokas, sp?, how fast do they normally fill the quota in there.. know anyone who guides there?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.