Montana Lope drawing..........how'd you do?

Got drawn, nonresident.
Never being in Montana, a few pointers would help.
Unit,area 340-20.Is it any good,private public?
What a rookie like me should do???
I'm sorry, but I haven't been in that area for quite a few years, so I can't give you a specific recommendation. But, right now call the Butte office (406-494-1953) and request a copy of this year's Block Management directory. Chat it up with the person, explain your situation, and see if they'll tell you what areas within the district to concentrate your search for the hunt. When you get the directory, look up the farms/ranches in the district to see which ones allow antelope hunting. BMA areas are usually hunted pretty heavily, so you may not want to use them. But, they will tell you where to concentrate your search. Take your wife/girlfriend out there 2-3 days before the season opens, and start knocking on doors. Don't just go to the big ranches, I've found that the guys that are barely making it can be the most generous. They may also tell you where the antelope like to go when they're pressured. If you find such a fellow, give him a box of good chocolates. After the hunt, take the time to thank him, and get his address. Send him a Xmas card and thank him again, you may want to hunt there again.

You want to hunt opening day because the antelope are running everywhere looking for a safe place. Don't bother chasing them. Set up in an open area where they can see for over 500 yards. Cabela's used to sell pairs of decoys, they work so well, that I have 2 sets and thinking of a 3rd. A couple of years ago, my daughter and I were relocating our set, and we just picked up the decoys, and tucked them under our arms. In the distance of 200 yards, two fawns walked up to within 20 yards from us. Leave at least 20'-30' between decoys, and at right angles to each other.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

Got drawn, nonresident.
Never being in Montana, a few pointers would help.
Unit,area 340-20.Is it any good,private public?
What a rookie like me should do???
I spent a good part of the day yesterday on a good size property in this unit. The lopes come and go, but if you work on it you'll do all right. I'd consider going mid week if possible, get away from some of the crowds.

If...you're into fishing then I'd be all over the fall spawn for big browns on the Jefferson. You can have some killer fun at this! Be it with fly gear and or spinning gear and Husky Jerks.

Goctha, that could be a tough unit for Joe Blow to gain access for those critters unless one is paying. Have a great hunt!

My group drew 2 either sex tags. Put in individually. Now days we draw about every 5 years. Used to be every year.

Brian and I are pretty excited to hunt goats this year. Only thing we drew in MT.

Good news Steve!

My main rifle is an old 14 Twist 22/250, it won't shoot your 52's or I'd be stoked up with Hammer's for my fall bear and lope hunt.

Best of luck to ya! Any idea what you'll be toting for a rig?

Good news Steve!

My main rifle is an old 14 Twist 22/250, it won't shoot your 52's or I'd be stoked up with Hammer's for my fall bear and lope hunt.

Best of luck to ya! Any idea what you'll be toting for a rig?
We'll see. Is always a last moment decision. I wanted to use the Creed with the 85g Hammer Hunter for everything in MT this year. But knowing the antelope could be over 500y I might take something diff.

Steve-looks like your 44 grain HH might just perk out of my 14 twist 22/250. I'm for betting that would put a lope on the turf pretty darn quick!

Thoughts?

Steve-looks like your 44 grain HH might just perk out of my 14 twist 22/250. I'm for betting that would put a lope on the turf pretty darn quick!

Thoughts?
I haven't shot a goat with it, but a few whitetail. It dumps them like lightning running 4200 fps. There has been boat loads of deer and pigs taken with that bullet around the country.

I don't bother them much anymore but I'll stay in touch. Should have them in a few days and will tags a run to the range

Recent Posts