Modify Savage Action for MDT Chassis - WSM

Sharing some after pictures....

3-B1-CC90-D-B410-4917-97-A7-6-C2-F06-F49310.jpg

7-F4-A21-D8-3-DCE-4-E70-B23-C-A1-AF99-FAD685.jpg

A9349-DF3-81-F4-48-D8-945-C-AEC25-A507633.jpg

C894-C80-D-039-D-4-B6-B-8-B2-A-96-C3747-D42-AE.jpg

D3-FBC95-A-7543-4327-BB46-872-CB88-AC314.jpg

Here's a picture of an Accurate Mag AICS 300 WM / 30-06 size mag, modified for 6.5×55. Note the screw and Delrin buffer in front of the mag follower.
20210210_143241.jpg

nksmfamjp, thank you so much for posting this mod, I've been searching all over the web trying to find a how-to on this topic. I'm going to do this on my Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor as I have some VLD bullets that won't feed when set to the lands.

Question; do your standard length mags still feed ok? Do you have any issues feeding shorter ammo?

Buddy with an end mill did my 10 FCP-SR SA. He just took the apart. Turned the action over. Scribed a line. Milled and filed a "V" for the tip of the longer loads. Took out just enough to allow the loner loads to pop up and onto the feed ramp.

Still feeds great with standard length loads as well.

Now I can use the MDT metal mags (no binder plat) all the way out to 2.296". Works great.

Super happy with it.

nksmfamjp, thank you so much for posting this mod, I've been searching all over the web trying to find a how-to on this topic. I'm going to do this on my Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor as I have some VLD bullets that won't feed when set to the lands.

Question; do your standard length mags still feed ok? Do you have any issues feeding shorter ammo?
I only have 2.98 mags....my loads currently run around 2.4". I plan to load 2.98" and see how it goes.

With the WSM, the Bullets aren't really part of the feed surfaces. It feeds the case, if that makes sense.

I only have 2.98 mags....my loads currently run around 2.4". I plan to load 2.98" and see how it goes.

With the WSM, the Bullets aren't really part of the feed surfaces. It feeds the case, if that makes sense.
Sorry I just saw this or I would have responded sooner. I did the exact same thing with my Oryx chassis on my 300 WSM just over a year ago. I needed to get it to feed the 215 Berger I shoot and I wanted the BDM. My original load, for length, was worked up using 195 Berger, using the measurement to ogive off of it I worked up my final COAL for the Berger 215. Keeping that same to ogive length with 215 Bregers made my Savage model 12 BVSS into a single shot. Not acceptable for what I use it for. I tested loads shortened to .002 of max mag length to see what it did to the load accuracy and pressure wise. It did nothing. So it fits the AICS Metal mags great and I moved to the Oryx chassis. I did remove metal in the area you with a radius and not straight across. I did not get close to the corners. USed a dremel tool and did it very slowly to not heat up the metal too much. Slow was good! I just plugged my chamber up so nothing could get into it. Got close to 500 rounds down range since the mods and move to the chassis. Feeding problems fully resolved. I also bought the MDT Mag Feed lip adjustment tool to get the feed lips properly set.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.