Model Seven

1894C

Just picked up a Remington model seven 308. 18.5" in a bell and carlson stock with a timney trigger in it for an absolute steal. Previous owner said he only ever shot 180 grain corlokts. Anybody loading for one of these rifles? What load? What kind of velocity are you getting with 150s or 165s?

this will be a 0-200 yard brush gun. Probably get a 3-9 or 2-7 leupold and run with it.

I have one in 308. With the short mag box your a mile from the lands. Between that and the short barrel velocities run low. 2600 -2700 with 150's. I killed a pile of deer with factory core lokts. The 150 sst is a good bullet. If your worried about exit wounds hard to beat a partition inside 300 yds.

I shoot a lot of the 180 interlocks at 30-06 velocity and they do excellent so I could see the 150s doing similar at 308 velocity. I have a pile of assorted 165s to try as well, I would like to get them to 2650. That would be pretty hot though I believe

I have one in 308. With the short mag box your a mile from the lands. Between that and the short barrel velocities run low. 2600 -2700 with 150's. I killed a pile of deer with factory core lokts. The 150 sst is a good bullet. If your worried about exit wounds hard to beat a partition inside 300 yds.
Just this season I worked up a load for my 3006 with a 150 grain partition I just put it to the test last night with a 20 yard shot so very high velocity's and a very hard quartering shot as well it entered the last rib and was under the hide on the shoulder of the opposite side it performed perfectly ended up weighing 90 grains
655E41DF-5771-4440-9F9F-8E4AE2EFAB45.jpeg

Just this season I worked up a load for my 3006 with a 150 grain partition I just put it to the test last night with a 20 yard shot so very high velocity's and a very hard quartering shot as well it entered the last rib and was under the hide on the shoulder of the opposite side it performed perfectly ended up weighing 90 grainsView attachment 236515
What would the impact velocity be on that shot?

I'm not sure yet I have a magneto speed chronograph but when working up this load with this rifle I was shooting the Hornady superformance 165 grain GMX bullets when I created this load and went to do a load test the load that group the best was already zeroed I've never had this happen before so I just went with it and have not actually Chrono the load yet

I like to work up my loads and not know the velocity until I've decided I need to know for my ballistic calculator a lot of guys get hung up on a certain velocity and Somewhat ignore the targets results

Third for the Partition. I keep a box for every caliber I load handy because you can always throw together a hunting load if you have those around. They're not the most accurate, I don't throw them the fastest or the furthest, but they've worked on animals every time. I've never recovered one because they've all been straight through.

I hit a buck straight on, rib on the way in, rib on the way out, pulped his lungs. Calc says 2400fps impact velocity from a 140gr 6.5mm Partition. You're probably looking at 200fps slower than Nosler's book that used a 24" test barrel, so with a 150gr you'll probably be in a similar 2600-2800fps range out of the front to the 6.5 I was shooting.

If you're worried about being too fast, shoot the 180. To slow, shoot the 150. Then there's a 165 for right in the middle. 150 and 180s can be backordered on Midway currently.

I like to work up my loads and not know the velocity until I've decided I need to know for my ballistic calculator a lot of guys get hung up on a certain velocity and Somewhat ignore the targets results
On a 0-200 yard gun I am going to pour the coals to it and then find accuracy. Long range rifles I do exactly the opposite but 200 and in I would rather get as much speed as I can

The information you are looking for is in a number of reloading manuals. Some of the powder manufacturers also have their data available on the internet. To continue in reloading, you need some reloading manuals. There is a lot of good information in most of the reloading manuals. The "ABCs of Handloading" if also a good reference.

The information you are looking for is in a number of reloading manuals. Some of the powder manufacturers also have their data available on the internet. To continue in reloading, you need some reloading manuals. There is a lot of good information in most of the reloading manuals. The "ABCs of Handloading" if also a good reference.
The information I asked for is a specific gun in a specific caliber and of the 12 reloading manuals I have none of them list a model seven with an 18.5. If you can't add more than basically go get some manuals, then you have nothing of value to add.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.