Savage Model 112 6.5x284

whiskey3

I recently acquired a Savage 112 BVSS chambered for 6.5x284. I have done alot of research on here about the favored loads for this gun. That being said I have decided to go with Sierra 142 matchkings, H4831sc, and CCI BR-2 primers in Norma Brass.
The question is; what is the preferred COL for this rifle? Im reading about some gun/bullets like "jump" while others do not. Some guy also said all reloads should have a set amount of "jump" and he got flamed. So is it trial and error? where to start? does anyone load for this particular rifle and caliber if you do please chime in. Thanks in advance!!

You will likely be around 3.125"-3.150", try them .005" in the lands, if it doesn't like it start backing them out .005-.010" at a time. Id start with about 48.5grns H4831 and work up, best will probably come in around 52grs @ about 3k fps.

I have that model and caliber but traded stocks. I have not tried anything over 120gn except 140gn AccuTips. Not the best bullet but I got them down to just under 1/2" at about 3K, I ran out and probably will never buy anymore.
Currently loading the 120 NBT with 58.5gn of RL25 and BR2's. Accuracy is well under 1/2" and velocity is running over 3200fps. I have some 130gn Hunting VLD's but haven't tried them yet. JohnnyK.

I have been told from a match winning benchrest shooter and rifle maker, that
he starts with the bullet hard into the lands. After shooting a five shot group, the oal is shortened by 2 thousandth of an inch and another 5 shot group is fired. Continue doing this until the group shrinks, and then starts to open up.
Personally, when I find a group that measures .250 or smaller I don't hunt any longer, but I don't shoot benchrest. All my Savages and and Coopers have shot bug hole groups. I am down to .60 on my 110 .338 Lapua Mag. and I haven't found the right load yet.
anytym

I have a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284. The COL with 142 Sierra MK"s is 3.192" to the lands. This measurement can vary due to differences in each rifle and lot to lot with the bullets. You should check your rifle and bullet lot if you want to seat to the lands. My target load is Lapua brass, IMR 4831sc- 51.5 grains, Fed Match primer, neck sized to .292". Sierra 142 MK seated .010 off the lands. 2920fps. Best accuracy and hunting load is 53 gr. 4831sc,, Berger hunting VLD 140gr, seated .075" off the lands, Fed match primer. 2950 fps

Thanks, guys lots of good info. I measured mine at 3.171". I'm going to load some up 10 thousandths off and find my best powder charge today and then start playing with length. THanks for the info!!

Just thought I would mention that my Savage didn't settle in until I ran about 20 rounds though on break in. Shoot and clean 1st 10 shots, every 5 for the next 10. Also, cleaned up faster after about 8 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts