model 742 loads

tbrice23

This is a strange question to ask on LONG range hunting but I inherited a model 742 30.06 from my dad that I cleaned up, re barreled(bulge in barrel under front sight) and got it cycling 100%. I made myself a goal to bag one or two whitetail then retire it for posterity. What bullet suggestions is recomended for close range reliable expansion/ performance without great loss of meat?
Shots will probably be under 100 yards, im running light loads 2550 to 2650 fps in 150-165gr bullets from 22in bbl.
Any of you seasoned hunters suggestions appreciated.

I had a 7400 in 30-06 that shot very well with 49 gr. 4064 and 165 gr bullets of several makes.

Thanks Tjay. 2 to 2.5 in. is all its capable. 5 powders ,6 different bullets of 3 weights. So ill use as indicated by its name WOODSMASTER. Just wanted a bullet to do its job at 2550 or so fps without a lot of meat damage.

Use something in the burn rate like 4895 or 4064 with medium loads and 150 gr Sierra or the 165 Sierra hunting HP. Don't let the HP in the 165 Sierra make you think it is a fragile bullet, it is not. It is about as accurate as the 168 match bullets but does open up but stay together very well and kills deer DEAD.

The old 742s were good woods rifles but in this day if you break a part in one it becomes a wall hanger because you can't find parts for them anymore unless you find a rifle someone has that is broken and it has the part you need that is not broken. Many I see are very rusted in the gas system and the chambers are pitted due to not cleaning them properly and they will not function anymore.

Yeh I found a barrel on ebay. Thats why ill just bag one or two in memory of dad then call it good. I have a lot of rifles I need to shoot at further ranges. I have a box of the 165grSGK HP ill definately try. Thanx for the feed back.

Any of the soft points or balitic tips in 150 165, or 168 grain . my choice would be 165 sierra btsp. varget,.

I have both sierra GKSP and GKHP bullets and the rifle does like varget but unfortunately I have to save my varget for my 6BR. I do however have h and imr4895 which shoot almost as well as varget .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.