Reloading Rem 742

A, a friend had one which jammed with handloads. He took it to a well known smith that called it a "jam-o-matic". The simple fix he said, was to use small base dies. The problem went away. I think it had a 19 or 20 inch barrel. It was quite accurate with 150gr loads. Don't recall powder, he used it in a trade for a bolt rifle several years ago.

Dosh

I have a RCBS small base dies and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I plan on using 180 Nosler Part........

Powder ?

My Dad used one for years back in the 70's for deer hunting never had a problem with it with factory ammo.

Yes, use the small base dies and DON'T seat the bullets out to the maximum length, back then in a little and it'll work fine...and like with any cartridge based on the /06 case...H-4350 is hard to beat. Have fun !!

According to a friend the 742 usually needs to use small base dies to function properly and as far as he recalls his dads 742 functioned best with powders that were suitable for the M1 Garand, IMR4064,IMR4895, BL-C(2), Win748, Win760.

You could always contact Remington and see if they have a recommendation for powders or at the very least get the port pressure, then, talking to a tech at one of the various companies putting out load data may help you zero in on those powders best suited to the gas system.

Too slow burning powder can raise port pressures and this can lead to excessive wear to outright damage in a Semi auto rifle, so a little research is a good thing.

Is the rifle new to you or you just haven't reloaded for it before?

If it is new to you, it'll be worth the 10 minutes to take the 2 pins out that hold the trigger in, then pull the bolt all the way rearward and look at the top inside of the receiver. Does it have chatter bumps like a dirt road?

I would try to find an accuracy node on the low end of the pressure spectrum. As long as the load will still cycle the rifle, you'll prolong your receiver life.

Mine actually shoots fairly accurately. But besides sighting it in and shooting at animals, it really doesn't get shot because of the short life of the action on the 740/742 Remington's. Mine was my grandpa's, so I'd like to pass it onto one of my sons someday still in working order.

It shoots real soft though. Barely any recoil comparatively. But what I don't like is that mine spits the empty cases forward at like 1:00 angle. I don't want to lose my brass, but I have to wait for others to stop shooting at the range before I walk out to get it!

I have a bit of experience with the 742. First off KEEP IT CLEAN meaning the gas system and chamber. I have seen many ruined rifles because the gas system was not cleaned and they will rust especially in humid environments. Use small base dies and you will be much better off with no heaver bullet than the 165s. The 4350 powders are too slow and have too high a port pressure and will beat your rifle up. Use powders in the IMR 4895, IMR 4064, Varget, RL 15 burn rate. Be aware that if you break a part of wear it out your rifle becomes a wall hanger. There are NO available replacement parts for the 742s. So treat it kind and shoot it little or you will start to have problems and will want to use it for a boat anchor. :D

If you fish....use it for a boat anchor!!

Lol, or tomato stake.

Mine is an inheritance from my father.
I wouldn't trust it past 100 yards only because one shot out of 5 is five inches off POA.
The other four will be 3/4 moa though , 165gr SGK hollow point or SST, RL15 ,cci200. Velocities are in the 308 win speed.
I want to use H or Imr4350 but I don't want to stress the gas system and bolt components because everything on that rifles bolt carrier isn't made any more, not even Remington can help if something breaks.

I don't think the 740/742 would make a good tomato stake or boat anchor... They rust much too fast. :)

(These have a rep for chambers being rusty).

I do enjoy shooting mine quite a bit. I just wish they didn't have the issue with the receivers getting chewed up.

I actually like the lines of the rifles a lot. Appearance wise, they are more attractive than the Brownings. At least to me with the rifles that have nice wood and blueing. I also like the way they point and shoot. And the recoil is so mild because of the gas system.

When I was in high school I used my hard earned summer job money to buy a 742 for $179 at JC Penney of all places. It was a 30/06 and used it for deer and bear hunting. Was a nice rifle and I really liked it. After getting my own place I got into reloading and as a novice did not understand the dynamics of reloading for gas operated rifles. I used heavy bullets and max charges of IMR 4350. My bolt did not last long after that. Fortunately Remington fixed it and I was told by a knowledgeable friend to get rid of it. I sold it and got a BAR and never looked back. I still would like to have one for nostalgia sake. I remember sitting in my blind and admiring the glossy stock and deep blue of that sleek Woodsmaster.

for almost 20 years I had a 742, 3006. And I loved it. It would cycle any and all factory ammo I put through it BUT, I was never able to get it work with reloads. I tried it all but no way would it work with any reloads and that was my only complaint.
A good friend had a 742 308win and his would take reloads no problem, My sudjestion is try and if it likes your reloads great if not don't worry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.