Model 78 Browning

Brandon Starkel

I have inherited a model 78 Browning (octagon barrel) 22-250. The scope on it was probably high end back in the time. But in today’s standards, or maybe in my standards it’s, well it’s lacking. I honestly can’t say what make it is because the lettering has been worn off. I am having a hard time coming up with The Scope for it...To some this probably sounds stupid, but others will understand. I have 1500-2500 dollar scopes on a few rifles and 5-7 hundred dollar on scopes on others. They all have a purpose. I am just at a bit of a loss trying to decide what to put on top of this old falling block....

kiwikid

The Browning M78 is one rifle I have always wanted and 22-250 would be my top choice! Currently I own three bolt action 22-250s and as boring as it may sound they all wear a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT turret. With these scopes shooting hares at 450 to 500m is very possible.
Good luck with your wonderful rifle!

Brandon Starkel

The Browning M78 is one rifle I have always wanted and 22-250 would be my top choice! Currently I own three bolt action 22-250s and as boring as it may sound they all wear a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT turret. With these scopes shooting hares at 450 to 500m is very possible.
Good luck with your wonderful rifle!

Brandon Starkel

Thanks. I actually shot it the first time, 39 years ago.
I don’t shoot competition, but a few friends and I shoot 1000k to a mile. I have heavier guns for that. This M78 isn’t dedicated for such shooting. I guess I don’t want a huge scope on top of it. I kinda like the nostalgia idea. But having a hard time trying to find a scope with good glass and the nostalgia fitting scope for it, if that makes sense.
Thanks

kiwikid

That makes perfect sense! I have owned one of my 22-250s since 1978 and when I bought the rifle I also bought a Redfield 3-9x 40mm. Redfield scopes were top tier back then. That rifle and scope accounted for a lot of deer over the years.

HARPERC

It depends on how you intend to use it. Likely the VX 6 3-18x, or VX 5 3-15x. I’d use it for coyotes, and ground squirrels just to explain my choice.

re5513

I had a B78 that I "awarded" to my nephew. I found that due to the design, I favored a scope with a longer than typical main scope tube. This allowed for better adjustment for proper eye relief. In my case I opted for a Burris scope due to it's longer tube vs the Leupold. The twist is probably 1:14 so you will be somewhat limited to lighter weight bullets, thus you can get by with point-blank assumptions for sight-in depending on your intended sized target.

Brandon Starkel

Thanks for the replies, I went with a Redfield, and yes it is 1:14 twist. This isn’t a rifle I’m going to take every time I go out shooting, I’d call it semi retired 😁. The rifle has paid its dues, I know my father has killed several Coyotes, P-dogs, Deer, and 2 Cow Elk.
I’ll take it out and pop a couple P-Dogs, punch a little paper, maybe Coyote once in a while. Thanks again

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts