Model 78 Browning

Brandon Starkel

I have inherited a model 78 Browning (octagon barrel) 22-250. The scope on it was probably high end back in the time. But in today's standards, or maybe in my standards it's, well it's lacking. I honestly can't say what make it is because the lettering has been worn off. I am having a hard time coming up with The Scope for it...To some this probably sounds stupid, but others will understand. I have 1500-2500 dollar scopes on a few rifles and 5-7 hundred dollar on scopes on others. They all have a purpose. I am just at a bit of a loss trying to decide what to put on top of this old falling block....

The Browning M78 is one rifle I have always wanted and 22-250 would be my top choice! Currently I own three bolt action 22-250s and as boring as it may sound they all wear a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT turret. With these scopes shooting hares at 450 to 500m is very possible.
Good luck with your wonderful rifle!

The Browning M78 is one rifle I have always wanted and 22-250 would be my top choice! Currently I own three bolt action 22-250s and as boring as it may sound they all wear a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT turret. With these scopes shooting hares at 450 to 500m is very possible.
Good luck with your wonderful rifle!

Thanks. I actually shot it the first time, 39 years ago.
I don't shoot competition, but a few friends and I shoot 1000k to a mile. I have heavier guns for that. This M78 isn't dedicated for such shooting. I guess I don't want a huge scope on top of it. I kinda like the nostalgia idea. But having a hard time trying to find a scope with good glass and the nostalgia fitting scope for it, if that makes sense.
Thanks

That makes perfect sense! I have owned one of my 22-250s since 1978 and when I bought the rifle I also bought a Redfield 3-9x 40mm. Redfield scopes were top tier back then. That rifle and scope accounted for a lot of deer over the years.

It depends on how you intend to use it. Likely the VX 6 3-18x, or VX 5 3-15x. I'd use it for coyotes, and ground squirrels just to explain my choice.

I had a B78 that I "awarded" to my nephew. I found that due to the design, I favored a scope with a longer than typical main scope tube. This allowed for better adjustment for proper eye relief. In my case I opted for a Burris scope due to it's longer tube vs the Leupold. The twist is probably 1:14 so you will be somewhat limited to lighter weight bullets, thus you can get by with point-blank assumptions for sight-in depending on your intended sized target.

Thanks for the replies, I went with a Redfield, and yes it is 1:14 twist. This isn't a rifle I'm going to take every time I go out shooting, I'd call it semi retired 😁. The rifle has paid its dues, I know my father has killed several Coyotes, P-dogs, Deer, and 2 Cow Elk.
I'll take it out and pop a couple P-Dogs, punch a little paper, maybe Coyote once in a while. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.