Nightforce on a Browning 7mm Mag

Johnny Boy

Does this make any sense putting a NightForce 5.5x22x50 with NP-R1 reticle on a Browning 7mm Mag? I plan to shoot ground squirrels and rabbits up to 1000 yards and deer up to 600 yards.

What type of base and rings do I need?

I don't quite understand when they say 20 MOA rail and 40 MOA rail.

If possible I want to mount my scope to where I can retain the maximum amount of internal adjustment and still maintain zero when dialed back down.

Sorry for all of this. I am still in training on this site.:rolleyes:

it makes sense putting whatever scope you want on a rifle, its just whatever suits you best. The NF will be a absolutely great scope for shooting the distances you have stated.

As for mounting it you can use a Leupold QRW base for the browning and then either use a Leup PRW or QRW ring or really go all out and use the NF or MK4 rings, any of those will satisfy the NF warrenty or having the scope mounted by a cross slot type configuration. and they will be one hell of a strong mounting system. this base wont be a 20MOA cant base but it will work well for you and cost alot less than a custom base with a cant

we use the 20moa cant bases to tilt the scope in a way so that we have the majority of our internal adjustment situated in a positive up position. you might have a problem finding a 20moa base for a browning, luckily the the NF scope has alot of internal adjustment . more than enough to do what you are wanting .

we got alot of the stuff you were asking about in stock so holler or PM me if you have any more questions.

have a good un
steve

well depending on the bbl contour i would imagine that the 1.00" ring would be just fine for ya. if it is a really skinny bbl you might be able to get by with the .885" rings.

the 1.00" should definantly work for ya

steve

What other type of rings and bases besides the one listed above by Lerch can be put on a NightForce without voiding the warranty?

NF says that you must use a cross slot rail type base and ring system or it may void the warrenty.

that is the strongest mounting method so it makes sense to use it anyway.

steve

There are quite a few options out there now for A-bolts. EGW is the probably the cheapest (look on ebay), there's Near, USO, Ken Farrel (specify picatinny), PRI and I had some custom extended bases made which are helpful for long scopes if you like to mount them forward like I do and could part with one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.