Nikon 4.5x14 buckmaster on 7mm rem mag

Willg

Anyone have any experience with Nikon buckmaster scopes? I have one on a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm rem mag with a walnut stock.

I have Nikon Monarch on my savage 210f 12 gauge and had no trouble sighting it in. It's dead on for years. With the 7mm it is constantly changing. Is that too much rifle for the scope? I can't believe it's not something to do with the scope.

If you are using the same load then it should hold zero for you like your shotgun scope does. They occasionally get bumped off but unless you are hitting rocks with it on purpose it should remain where you left it. I would check to ensure that your mounts are good and that all the bolts in the stock, attaching it to the rifle are right as well. Sometimes these get loose and can affect the rifles ability to hold zero. If that doesn't work them I'd call Nikon. You could also mount another scope, if you have one, on it to check and make sure that your rifle doesn't have any issues before you blame it on the scope. Good luck!

Mac

Thank you, Mac. Another thing I found out I should consider is the fact I changed the synthetic stock to a walnut boyds. My gunsmith did not glass bed the stock. One thought was it could very well be my problem. My gunsmith did not see the need for glass bedding, but it's got me wondering.

I will take the rifle out one more time and see how it turns out. I'm in agreement with you that it's not the scope.

Thanks.

I do not have one on my 7 mag, but I have had one on my 6mm for quite some time and it has been perfect. I think it is a quality scope. You can have an issue with any scope cheap or expensive. Sometimes it just happens.

I have buckmaster 3x9's on two of my rifles. They get used often and hold zero very well. I agree you should go over your rifle and make sure bases, rings, and mounting screws are all good and tight. The only time my buckmaster has lost zero was when the gun rack on my atv snapped off on a rough trail which sent my rifle under the atv where it got run over and packed with dirt and sand. After a thorough cleaning the POI had shifted about 4 MOA

I have that scope on a 7stw. In a padded case, lashed down to my quad, traveling blm roads this last weekend looking for antelope it didn't fare to well. I will check actual poi change in a cpl days but based on the shots I took it appears to have moved about 1 1/2 feet at 400. It was shooting 3/4" at 200 when I left.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.