model 700 vs model 7

I have both, model 7 is more slimmed down. Action is different can't explain the details, barrel is pencil diameter, stock is slimmed down under barrel. I picked up a used model 7 in a 260 4 years ago and fell in love with it. At first i could see why i bought it used, it shot factory ammo about 3" group at 100 yards. I started by bedding stock, working trigger, then of course hand loads. Got the gun to shoot consistant 1" or better. I found out with the thin barrel taper sometimes on 3rd. shot i would let it cool for a minute than shoot the 3rd shot and keep my group better. I hunt in thick woods and the model 7 is so nice to carry, i only need a 75-100 yard gun. Its well balanced you can pull up quick or even walk around carring it with 1 hand ready to throw up.
Mike

The majority of my rifles are model 700, but I do have one model 7 chambered in 270wsm. I traded my marlin 17HMR and a New England 22-250 for it cause I thought it was a great looking gun with the matte fluted barrel and all. I finally got around to buying a scope and the reloading dies to make some bullets.

The first bullets I made it shot 1/2 MOA at 100 Yards. Nosler ballistic tip 150Gr.
I love the gun because its so lite. And having that short of a barrel it shoots pretty darn good. I have already shot out to 500 yards with the Nikon BDC scope reticles. The groups were not bad at all, Def less than sub group @ 500 yards.

My guess on the difference between the two....
1) Barrel Length.... the 7 is much shorter than the 700
2) Weight.... the 700 is heavier than the 7
3) Scope Base... the 7 is different and require its (model 7 base)

I am far from an expert but I do know the action on the 7 feels and is similar to the model 700. And I was able to adjust the trigger pull on it just like on my model 700's. But over all its a good deer rifle. If I am not mistaken I think its called Model 7 White tail model.

Thanks for the opinions.
I was looking at a 7 saum in model 7. My thought was the 7mm saum should perform pretty well out to 400 or 500 yards out of the short barrel.
I'm not sure if it would be much of and upgrade from my 7-08 encore. The encore shoots under 3/4" inch at 100 yards so the accuracy is pretty good. My concern is the new gun might not be much of a ballistic upgrade.
Any thoughts?

My Model 7 in 7mm SAUM does 3150+ fps with 140 grain bullets and 2900+fps with 160s.......that's not really pushing either load to the max........accuracy with both bullet weights is around .75" for 3 shots at 100.........the 7 SAUM should give you 150-200 fps over the 7-08........

The model 7 action is 1/2" shorter than the 700......but they have the same magazine length because the length difference is at the rear of the action.

Basically the rear bridge of the M7 is .5" shorter than the M700. The bolt and firing pin are shortened as well. It will be a couple ounces lighter than a 700, not much but if shaving ounces is your priority, its a good deal.

DSCF5892.JPG

I am almost finished building a rifle, that fits your decsription.
Its a M7 with a 25" Lilja chambered in 7WSM.
With a Lone Wolf stock, Talley rings, and a Nikon 2.5-10 Monarch it will weigh less than 7 lbs.

Although I really like the WSM, I should have gone with a 7SAUM though due to magazine length restrictions of 2.80". The mag can't be extended on a M7 because the trigger housing is right up against the factory mag box.

The SAUM is a great cartridge that fits the M7 just right. My wife has a factory 7 in 7SAUM that will hold MOA out to a couple hundred yards. You can fit 162 a-max's in the mag, and get to about 2900 fps with a 22" bbl. This gun needs a quality stock and it would be a near perfect mountain rifle.

If it were me, I'd get one of the stainless/synthetic 7SAUM's and put it in a Lone Wolf/Manners/MPI..etc. stocks. It would be a light, handy gun with some punch.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.