Model Seven 7 SAUM

N2TRKYS

Anybody have one of these rifles? Please give me some feedback on the caliber and the Model Seven. It seems like the perfect backcountry rifle. Thanks for any info.

If it's the stainless synthetic version you have what I consider the second best factory carry far rifle...the best would be the same in .300 saum. For all intents and purposes it's just about a 7 mm RM in a short fat case..nice rifle, you'll never regret buying one.

I had a lead on a 300 saum, but was told it kicked like a borrowed mule. I was thinking of building a 7 saum with a 24" barrel on a M700 long action. But, the Model Seven seems like it would be the perfect carry gun. I'm worried alittle about decrease in performance with the 22" barrel vs a 24", though.

Most model sevens are a bit butt heavy making them a bit harder to shoot off hand. I have two SS models 308/260 love them both.
The SAUM w/a 22' barrel would iron the tiny glitch right on out.

22"vs 24" the difference wouldn't be 40fps I'd wager .
Longer barrels shine with very high velocity rounds -that rifle shooting a 160 class bullet isn't even worth thinking about.
Also a shorter barrel will be a bit more stiff upping the chance of better accuracy - remember it's a "mountain gun".
Park it in a custom light weight stock -nice smallish scope maybe 40mm objective -strap a mountain sling on and smile every step of the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.